Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 749

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mixing Containers - Plastic Beakers

I am looking for an inexpensive way to buy 20 plastic beakers to hold developers stop and fix when developing film. This is not for long-term storage but a way to hold and mix the chemicals during the film developing process.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use ball mason canning jars....they are cheap, made of heavy duty glass, have air tight lids and are available by the case at at the supermarket. If you're patient and don't mind eating spaghetti sauce from a jar, you can accumulate the jars for free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How big, and under what circumstances? Semi-disposable drinking cups are fine for small quantities, but not smart if you are teaching children! You would need something with decent markings for doing dilutions.

I have seen 300ml and up plastic beakers and jugs at a local cash & carry (Smart & Final) intended for group barbecues or professional kitchens. The measuring marks are not up to photographic standard, however. They should stand basic monochrome chemistry. I'm not sure they are significantly cheaper than photographic items.

I keep my eye open at the local camera fairs for useful jugs and measures.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am looking for 1200ml or 1500ml plastic containers. I need them for a community college darkroom. Glass makes me nervous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually order my beakers from a lab supply company. Depending on your budget, this maybe the best bet as I have found that the "name brand" darkroom manufacturers charge more for the same items. I'm up in Canada but last order I think I bought 1L sized poly beakers for around $12 each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1.5litre just go to the local big box store and buy kitchen stuff. Plastic pitchers aren't too expensive. They may not be 100% accurate but at 1.5 litre being off by 10ml is just a rounding error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Continuing Nick's thought - plastic juice pitchers from Target should work just fine. If you are setting up a teaching darkroom, it's likely that you will want to establish some "house standards" in terms of developers, dilutions, etc. In that case, you could use a master graduate to measure quantities of plan water, transfer that water to your teaching graduates, and then mark them with a Sharpie.

In my home darkroom, I have a plastic graduate with two green marks representing the volumes of HC110 stock solution required for one or two rolls, respectively, of film. I've long since forgotten how many ml of the stock is required - I just fill the graduate up to the green line, and add water to make the volume required for the tank that I will be using.

Another thought - when I first set up my darkroom, I bought a 1 litre glass graduate that started life as measuring cup for kitchen applications. I've noticed that you can find these now in plastic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear David,

Check out http://www.sciplus.com. They have a revolving stock (a surplus store), but I get lots of that sort of thing there.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1,5 litre Evian bottles. For bigger yet, I buy 5 liter bottles of distilled water (€1.20), use the water, keep the bottle for washing agent, and another for stock solution of HCA, and a third for working solution of selenium toner.

But that' just because I'm a stingy cheap bastard... :rolleyes:
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, you might check out this place http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin