Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 884

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    ...she turned the light on. The switch is on the outside of the door....

yup, move the switch to the inside but also put it inside a covered receptacle so you can't accidentally flip it on. Have this in my darkroom and closing the cover after switching off the lights is automatic for me now. Mine is similar to this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gfci...l-white/906884

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    yup, move the switch to the inside but also put it inside a covered receptacle so you can't accidentally flip it on. Have this in my darkroom and closing the cover after switching off the lights is automatic for me now. Mine is similar to this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gfci...l-white/906884
    Or this works just as well...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Or one of these over the switch:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-4-...per-bag/982016

It is what I put on the university darkroom light switches that operate the white room lights -- tho not these fancy copper-coated ones.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to try to make mistakes only once.

So far I have loaded 35mm film incorrectly and had it pull off the winder spool, ended up with a developed blank roll. Now I look to make sure the rewind knob turns too.

I have rewound a finished roll and when I thought I was at the end due to a snag I opened the back to find out I wasn't. Wrecked most of the roll.

I tried to use a lint free cloth to remove a large speck of dust that had landed on the emulsion side of a hanging wet roll of film on my favorite shot of the roll, only to discover the term lint free is relative to the application. I also discovered at the same time that you can shred a roll of film into confetti with your bare hands in a temper tantrum.

Honestly I wonder why I bother with film on many days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's one I've told before but it's true and the horror lives with me still.

How not to spool 400 ft of film into canisters!

Years ago I worked as a junior darkroom assistant in the back of a camera store in Brisbane. The proprietor sold Leicas but most of his money came from selling film. He had a scheme of buying Ektachrome in 400 foot rolls and getting darkroom junior (me) to cut 5 foot 3 inch lengths and load empty 35mm cassettes. Everything was done manually in a darkroom with cassette bodies, cores, ends, film tape, scissors, and a bench top with a measuring nail all laid out exactly. Then I made a big mistake.

About 20 minutes before closing time I dropped a naked 400 foot roll and it clock-springed into huge tangled festoon of film loops about a yard across. In pitch blackness I could not find the end to try to re-spool it. The stuff was worth hundreds of dollars, the store was closing, I had to open the darkroom door, I had to leave and go home. I was dead meat. Or was there a way out?

The garbage bags, of course! Gathering up armfuls of film loops I managed to stuff the whole tangled mess into a huge black plastic garbage bag. That bag went into another bag, into another bag, and so on until the bundle was light tight. At closing time the boss opened the darkroom and saw everything in order. He didn't look behind the door.

The next day I got the film tangle out of the bags and just started cutting 36 exposure lengths from any loop I could grab. By lunch time it had all been loaded and labelled. The several short left over ends were easy to hide. I walked out of the darkroom sweating but smooth faced.

That film had been kinked, stepped on, scratched, buckled, and abused. Hundreds of transparencies came out of that unfortunate roll, mainly from Leica users, but there was not one single complaint. Amazing!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nor does developer make for a good fixer.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noisegate View Post
    Nor does developer make for a good fixer.....
    The converse is even more true. Fixer makes a TERRIBLE developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If nothing else, all of these "oops!!!!" moments are making me feel so much better after my disaster on the first page!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    If nothing else, all of these "oops!!!!" moments are making me feel so much better after my disaster on the first page!!

I think this is a man/woman thing. Most guys' phonecalls last for less than 10 seconds, so I doubt that many men have lost rolls of film to hours of phone calls.

If I get a call while I'm developing, I say "I'll call you back, I'm developing some film."

But that may not be entirely politically correct. Possibly
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 05-02-2014 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was giving a carbon printing demo to a class at the university and did not have a fan to keep the contact printing frame cool under the UV lamp. The gelatin of the tissue got too warm and stuck to the 11x14 negative. In front of the class I pulled hard to try to separate them and ended up ripping the 11x14 negative in half. Quite impressive. It was a nice negative, too. I was bummed.

Several months later I was going thru my 11x14 negs and found a second copy of that negative -- I had forgotten that I took two. The second negative was developed a little better, too.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin