Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 753

Shooter
    Large Format

Print washer for film?

Is there any reason why I can't use an 8x10 print washer with 8x10 film? Would I be in danger of scratching the emulsion? Are they not as efficient?

I'd like to have a combo film and print washer due to my smaller darkroom setup, but I don't know if they are interchangeable.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. people do it all the time.
    can you take out the dividers and fit the film into the slots?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used my Paterson Major archival print washer for some decades to wash 8x10 film with no problems at all. The agitation mechanism doesn't hurt the film during the 20 minute wash cycle I use.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No reason, other than anal retentive tendencies. Just be careful to keep the emulsion side away from the compartment dividers. The film can be hung, by its clip or pin between dividers to avoid this, also making extraction easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fashioned a pair of brass hanging rods for my 16x20 Versalab washer. I threaded small nylon spacer cylinders onto the rods. I then remove the entire print dividers cage from the washer when processing 8x10 film and hang my 8x10 film hangers between the spacers on the (submerged) hanging rods.

Works like a charm. And as you say, makes the washer space do double-duty in a smaller darkroom.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin