Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,510   Posts: 1,645,171   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

C-41 Temperature control unit - found this on Kickstarter

Aside from the price (currently $145, shipped), what do you think of repurposing this sous vide cooking device for the darkroom?

Its chief advantage is precision temperature control and water circulation, and it needs only 2.5" - 7.25" of water depth.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-with-your-ip

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Way more difficult than it needs to be. What do you tell it to cook, chicken? Fish? All the temps that sous vide run at are much higher (like 55-80C) than needed for developing film. C41 and E6 develop right in the never-keep-food-at-these-temperatures bacterial-danger-zone so if the device is any good, it will prevent you from selecting 38C.

Just buy a $20 PID controller with thermocouple off eBay and wire it up to a water-boiler element. Stick an aquarium pump in too (makes the heating uniform) if you're feeling fancy. Or you can wire up a slow cooker/crockpot to the PID controller and use the slow cooker as your temp-control bath. Try to use one with a low thermal mass (aluminium liner, no ceramic crock) though, because that may cause PID instability and/or inability to respond to temperature changes in a speedy manner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be that as it may, the stated range is
    Temperature Range: 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F / 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there was an article on MAKE for the same thing

http://makezine.com/2011/02/17/75-so...ersion-cooker/

I've put together 2 of them from ebay parts for way less than what the article states by the way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, my original question was "aside from the price"...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built myself my own. Mine has dual PIDs for two baths (say if I wanted a C-41 and a warm B&W path for push processing).

But this one is slick looking, compact, and I would gladly trade in mine if the price were under $80, and it had a PID controller (it may?).

Cut around $200, there's no way I would justify the novelty of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sheesh, I just use a plastic cooler my late father had. I fill it with hot tap water, add my bottles of chemicals, and about twenty minutes later I'm ready to go. If the developer temp is a bit too high, then I leave it out of the cooler while I do my presoak.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Be that as it may, the stated range is
    Temperature Range: 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F / 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C
    I doubt the specs is accurate. To get a temperature control/indicator to that kind of accuracy and temperature range is not cheap. Not for $140.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get a PID module off evilbay for 25 bucks and it comes with temperature sensor and SS relay. Buy a water heating spiral or an aquarium heater + a circulating pump for some 10-15 bucks to the set and you are good to go. Or do the cheap and cheerful version - take a cheap cooler and fill it with warm water. I get my ECN2 chemicals up to required temperature in 10 minutes with the hot water coming from the tap at 45 degrees centigrade; required temperature is 41,5C so I can let it cool a bit. So far no problems. Churning out 200 bucks for something you don't need at all or can assemble from crap off evilbay is silly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's an excellent idea. The only question mark would be how efficiently it circulates the water in a tub rather than cooking vessel.

But it looks convenient and if it saved you a lot of fiddling with water temperatures, then the price is not really that high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin