Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,928   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Durst Laborator 1200

I am reading a user's manual for a Durst Laborator 1200 and I read it is manufactured in Italy. I was under the impression that Durst was a german brand.
    Jack Rosa

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The name Durst is a german name. But still the Dursts were italian and it is a italian Company.

The reason is that as result of WWI german speaking regions make part of the North of Italy. One of the many changes of regional citizenship occured in Europe.

The Durst Company is located in Tyrol, which falls in North-Tyrol which makes part of Austria and South-Tyrol which is part of Italy.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the literature is all in German, but as AgX points out Durst is located in Brixen Italy. From Wikipedia :"According to the 2011 census, the majority of the population [of Brixen] speaks German as first language (72.82%)."

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the literature is in German as the manual was intended for German speaking users...

Not because Durst may be a German speaking company. In the towns of South-Tyrol the share of Italian speakers is larger anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fellows: the Manual I am reading states the equipment is manufactured by Durst Phototechnik GmbH, Bressanone, Italy. The name of the company (incl. the GmbH) sound German to me but I was surprised to see the Italian location. I would think the Germans would want to make their precision equipment in Germany (????)
    Jack Rosa

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I said these people are Italian or Tyrolian at least. They are not german, but German-speaking.

German is also spoken in Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Romania, Kasachstan to name some countries.

GmbH is indeed a legal term used in Germany, but also in Austria and Switzerland.

And in Italy. In South-Tyrol were German is one official language.

By the way, "Laborator" is not a german term...
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The issue of citizenship, nationality, language, culture and them being intermingled nevertheless is still an issue in Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the literature is in German as the manual was intended for German speaking users...

Not because Durst may be a German speaking company. In the towns of South-Tyrol the share of Italian speakers is larger anyway.
    Yes, the user's manuals may be in different languages, based on the intended market, however, my research indicates that the schematics and service manuals [for enlargers and analog photography equipment] were published only in German language.

the Manual I am reading states the equipment is manufactured by Durst Phototechnik GmbH, Bressanone, Italy
    I mention Brixen because the founders Julius and Gilbert Durst are from Brixen and the "Old Durst" building [from the pre-digital age] exists there. Modern Durst is not only digital but multinational.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca72b86a-188e-4978-9f46-a3a54548d066.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	89600

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I only got one German servcice manual, the others are in English. And for a company aiming at an international market more or less from the beginning that would not make sense anyway.

But it is an interesting issue anyway. For instance that Durst use their German legal designation (meanwhile a AG and no longer a GmbH) never came to my mind. When I read corporation designations at broshures of foreign companies written in German their legal designation often is written in German as they got a german subsidiary of that name. Durst have one too. So I always mixed them up.

Thank you Jack, for hinting at this.
    Interesting too, that in your sample Durst use Bressanone, instead of Brixen. Kind of inconsequential.
    Or the legal Terms were already bilingual, but not the names of municipalities...
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, are there more fellows here that thought Durst was a german manufacturer?

I always thought that both, Durst and Manfrotto outside of Italy were THE known italian manufacturers, neglecting the other italian ones of the past.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin