Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,471   Online: 1070

Shooter
    35mm RF

Processing machine (jobo)

Hi guys

A friend of me found a really good deal for a whole darkroom. Including a jobo processor. I've been watching these things and they look really awesome to use and have in a darkroom.
    But what are the real advantages of this over hand developing?

Can it do color & b/w? Does it regulate temperatures? I've read something it can also process prints? Can't get my head around it though..

Thanks in advance

Jesse
    Jesse - 21 years - Belgium
    Leica M6 - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In one word the answer is yes.

Yesterday I think, CatLabs posted a link to the new Jobo site that should answer more precisely your questions, but the first advantage is you do all processing in the light of the room.

The machines heat temperature to the chosen temp and holds them well but do not cool temperature, I'm speaking of the home/non-commercial machines.

The amount of chemistry used is significantly less than tray processing.

The only down side I've found is in Operator Error. If you develop a print too long it will show it. You lose whatever advantage there is to developing by inspection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oh I see. So you have to put an exposed paper in the machine and then develop it? Is it for bigger prints?

And you can also just use it as a b/w developer and color developer? I need this machine!
    Jesse - 21 years - Belgium
    Leica M6 - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found the JOBO link: http://www.jobo-usa.com/

I don't really know how large a print you can make. But that would depend on the size of the tank which depends on the size of the machine, etc. etc.

It will take some research on your part to decide what is needed. I've used the simplest, basic set up for a number of years with B/W negatives from 35mm to 8X10. Tray processing negatives has always been a disaster for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use it for developing black & white film for consistency. It is also the way I develop all my 4"x5" film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Jobo CPP2 processor which I use mostly for film, and a little for prints. I love the processor for film, where I process B&W as well as E6 in both 120 and 4x5 formats. I get good, consistent results, and can do a reasonable amount of film at once.

I also use the processor for larger prints. My sink makes it difficult to do 16x20 or 20x24 prints, so I sometimes do those in the Jobo processor, but I am much less happy with the processor for that than I am with it for film - still, when I want to print a 20x24, it works, and I have few other options.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The fill and drain times of bigger drums can be a problem, esp with 20x24 work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my Jobo for color work, all the way from 35mm through 8x10, as the Jobo is very good at maintaining a reliable processing temperature. I do the black and white by hand though I do use the drums and reels on the 1509 roller base.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin