Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,369   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    i'm 6-0 on a good day, in the morning, and I like a 40" counter height.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    One also could consider to DIY adjustable feet for all elements. By this one not only could adjust the whole darkroom interior as such but also per element. If possible consider with ther effluent tubing of the sink, to give height for a telescopic or flexible connection.
    +1. This is the best of all solutions. My sinks have adjustable height fixtures (usually available at large hardware stores, inexpensive) on all legs. For bench counter tops, I was fortunate to have spent years doing darkroom work prior to building my current facility, so I already knew the comfortable heights I needed for the various work surfaces. If you lack that experience, adjustable feet are the best way to go. You just need to be careful in determining the range of adjustments needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, the best height is that of my belly button. But I have to admit the my printer is on a surface at my knees height.
    Alfonso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm surprised I didn't chip in earlier as I was fitting the benches and surfaces in my new darkroom as the thread started

I opted for 32" (81cm approx0 because that's a comfortable working height even with enlarger base-boards and dishes/dish-warmers adding a little extra height. As others will be using the darkroom I opted not to go higher. An additional factor is allowing sufficient height between bench and ceiling for the enlargers to reach the tops of their columns.

[QUOTE=David Brown;1668190
    One thing I will mention. A common mistake in building darkrooms is the height of the sink. If your printing trays sit inside a sink, then the bottom of the sink needs to be at "counter" height. Most are too low and one has to bend over to develop prints.[/QUOTE]

My sink is slightly counter-sunk, however I place the developing tray on a dish-warmer on the adjacent bench, followed by the stop-bath and only place the two fixer trays and wash trays in the sink. This is for safety reasons as an electric dish warmer would be lethal in a sink !!!!

The main enlarger in my new darkroom is floor standing, but in the past I've mounted enlargers to the wall and had part of the bench top below them adjustable, allowing it to be slotted in at different heights for greater enlargements if required.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 10cm below your elbows. For most people, that's about 900mm, or 1000mm if you're tall.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am building right now my new sinks and enlarger platforms, I have lowered them all as I am in a constant state of shrinking in size.

In the past I have accommodated all my assistants who were much taller than me, now I say to hell with them, I am going to make the tray level to the height I want.

I will post the sink design soon as I have pics, t he base is adjustable , quite unique as its changable and the plywood and 4x4 sink structure sits on to. So you can raise and lower the working surface , even for large sinks which in my case are 50 inches by 12 ft, I am making three of them .

Over years of printing the height of your working surface can indeed take its toll on your body.

Great thread Question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am building right now my new sinks and enlarger platforms, I have lowered them all as I am in a constant state of shrinking in size.
    I have read that the knuckles of a closed fist should drag across the surface.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I have read that the knuckles of a closed fist should drag across the surface.
    In my case that would be a couple of centimeters lower than I chose, but I think it's about right.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    ... my case are 50 inches by 12 ft, I am making three of them...
    Now that's a sink!!! I like it!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    About 10cm below your elbows. For most people, that's about 900mm, or 1000mm if you're tall.
    Well between you and goros my 40" is pretty close. In my bare feet my navel is about 41" off the floor. On the same floor, in the same bare feet, my elbow is about 44" off the floor. Subtract 10cm (about 4") and there you have it. You two must be right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin