Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,619   Online: 750

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    ashfaque:

just chalk it up to experience

you can use that exposed film to test your fixer, all is not completely lost

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Ashfaque,

There is actually a decent chance you can use the film. The film is tightly coiled and the anti-halation layer will certainly have provided some protection. As others have advised, take off a length (I suggest enough for a 36 exposure roll) and develop it.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No remove 2 meter discard.
    The remained will be ok.

Shooter
    35mm
    @ jnanian, Neal and xmas: Thanks for your tips. Even though it harts, somehow this experience is already making me smile.

Re testing the fixer: sounds interesting, could you pleaee elaborate.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Shooter
    Large Format
    well, you takw a small piece about 1 square inch ...
    and you put it in your fresh unused fixer with the lights on and time how long
    it takes to be completely clear. you fix your film for 2x that clear time ... so if it was 30 seconds, you
    fix your film for 1 min ... when you do your test and it takes 1 min to clear to film base ...
    your fixer is spent and it is time to dispose of it and make a fresh batch ...
    if you do 2 fix bath fixing .. you split the total fix time between 2 baths and when the first bath is spent
    and used up, you dispose of IT, make a fresh bath and make that fresh bath number 2 and the older #2 becomes your first batch ... then you do another " film clip test" and figure out the fix time all over again.

have fun !

john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I was thinking of buying some Ilford 35mm film in bulk -- it doesn't come in a can?? They rely on the box and the rigidity of the tight roll of film to prevent crushing/denting/etc to the film itself?

Shooter
    35mm
    John: Thanks a lot for the tutorial on fixer testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I was thinking of buying some Ilford 35mm film in bulk -- it doesn't come in a can?? They rely on the box and the rigidity of the tight roll of film to prevent crushing/denting/etc to the film itself?
    I'm afraid, the paper box and the unsealed black plastic bag is all you get from Ilford for film packaging (+ a bit of paper tape that's holding the film together) - at least for 17 meters bulk roll of HP5 Plus!

Bests,

Ashfaque

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfaque View Post
    John: Thanks a lot for the tutorial on fixer testing.

I'm afraid, the paper box and the unsealed black plastic bag is all you get from Ilford for film packaging (+ a bit of paper tape that's holding the film together) - at least for 17 meters bulk roll of HP5 Plus!

Bests,

Ashfaque
    Confirmed and also true for 30.5m packs.
    They used to use metal cans still have a HP4 can.

The last Kentmere pack even omits the eight language warning to only open in dark.

You need to be aware that fixing time is dependent.

On film type - the delta/tabular films take 2x the time
    On temperature - aeons below 15C

Ditto wash time - aeons below 15C

Good to have another bulk user, cine is next step...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfaque View Post

Any other potential screw-ups I should be aware of. FYI, I have Rollei bulk rolls (Retro 80s, RPX ) and will be buying some Ilford and Kodak bulk rolls later.

Ashfaque
    Unfortunately the screw-ups are confidential and admittance to the inner circle is a journey of discovery
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Xmas: Thanks for the information. They should at least make those plastic bags sealed => fool-proof!

John: I'm just a poor student. The lower the number of screw-ups. the better.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin