Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,290   Online: 767

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Did something stupid

Hello Everyone,

I think I may have just ruined 17 meter bulk roll of HP5 Plus - at least some of it. When I opened the cardboard box, I saw the black plastic bag in which the roll stays. It is my first experience with bulk rolls. I was expecting the black plastic thingy will be sealed. Instead it was simply folded. But me being like a curious cat, peeked inside thinking that, may be, there is another layer of protection inside! Suddenly I thought I better not whilst noticing the white tap quite briefly that holds the roll together (less than half a second). Have I ruined the whole role?

Could you please share any strategy I should follow to check the film whilst putting them into cassettes - minimum frames per cassette, how many cassette should I try before finally throwing it away (, which I hope is not the case), etc.

I am really annoyed with myself. grrr.

Thanks for reading.

Bests

Ashfaque

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Put it down to a learning experience and move on.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throw out the first five or so turns and then develop a couple of feet. With a little luck you may just have blackened the edge of the rest. Do not ask me how I know.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey! I did that once.

I was quite annoyed too. Guess I was spoiled with Kodak putting tape on their can.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You will have certainly fogged the first few feet. If you are real lucky, maybe just the outer edges further in on the roll. Try taking a few inches from the center of the roll and developing it to see if it has fogged. Bin the first few feet from the outside and try developing another snip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, we know. Oh, and welcome to the club. Your initiation is now complete. There is a secret list of other screw-ups you are required to complete over the years. You will know when you have completed them and are advanced to the next level, Re-doing the same levels or ones looking for extra credit is not permitted or accepted. Screw-ups may be completed in any order we suggest you accomplish the easy ones first. Good luck and have fun, we all do and are still working on our lists, each and every one of us, and I mean EVERY ONE OF US.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Opening different kinds of film boxes in the dark is a funny thing... you have to trust that you'll be able to figure out what's in it and how to open it by feel alone. I've got a couple of boxes of sheet film that I know what the insides feel like, but not what they look like. I too was temped to peek in the Ilford bulk roll box, and was glad I didn't when I opened it in the dark and felt the folded plastic bag.

Shooter
    35mm
    Richard & Paul: Thanks for the suggestions.

Any other suggestions? Since I have rodinal, which is relatively lot cheaper, I'm thinking of using it. Please let me if I should be doing anything special to possibly compensate for my initial mistake.

Any other potential screw-ups I should be aware of. FYI, I have Rollei bulk rolls (Retro 80s, RPX ) and will be buying some Ilford and Kodak bulk rolls later.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Shooter
    35mm
    I would be careful about handling Retro 80s. I have only bought it in 35mm cassettes before, and not bulk, but it seems to be prone to fogging. I now take the cassettes from their containers, and load/unload the camera in a changing bag. I don't know if others have had similar fogging issues with this film.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the tip, Alex. Although it is written on top of the bulk 'open in subdued light', I will follow your advice - just to minimize the risk.

@Logan: what other screw ups... please share!

I forgot to mention which RPX films - RPX 25 and RPX 400. On both bulks it is written 'open in darkroom only'. Oh well...

Bests,

Ashfaque

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin