Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,088   Posts: 1,635,843   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

Is this an enlarger capable of holding 4x5 negatives?

I'm trying to make the leap into 4x5 film in my pinhole camera, and am trying to put together a darkroom on the cheap.

I have a line on an Omega enlarger, comes with a bunch of stuff, I know a D2 would be good for me, but all this one says on it is "Simmons Omega Variable Condenser" for 2" to 6 3/8" lenses.

With the right condenser, lens and carrier, will this handle 4x5 film?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob question...
    Audi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

welcome to APUG .

Omega D2 can do 4x5 negatives, I think you just need appropriate condenser, lens and mask carrier. There are lots of different versions of this enlarger - be sure which one it is - and let us know.

Regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by audi View Post
    I'm trying to make the leap into 4x5 film in my pinhole camera, and am trying to put together a darkroom on the cheap.

I have a line on an Omega enlarger, comes with a bunch of stuff, I know a D2 would be good for me, but all this one says on it is "Simmons Omega Variable Condenser" for 2" to 6 3/8" lenses.

With the right condenser, lens and carrier, will this handle 4x5 film?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob question...
    Audi
    The moveable condenser would be removed when using a 150mm lens to do 4x5" enlargements. There should be still two additional fixed condensers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it takes a 6"+ lens it's probably a 4X5 machine. The older Omega's used both separate lens cones and condensers for different focal length lenses. The later ones used a supplementary condenser in the filter drawer to change format.

KHB photographics, I believe has information on these things.

Looks like ic-racer types faster than I do. In any case make sure it has everything you need. Flat board for 50/80 lenses short cone for 90/135 & long for 150. Gotta check this part out though, I only had the old one.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you should be good to go, just make sure all the parts are there. look at the condensers to make sure they are not scratched.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The D2V was designed for formats from 35mm to 4x5. It is the best for all round use. It can also do color.

PE

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!

I will follow up with the seller as to what else is included; what confused me was the guy said he didn't see a model number, just the variable condenser info tag.

I haven't used an enlarger of any kind for 15+ years, and back then it was to enlarge 35mm while I was in school. Quite possibly I was using an Omega enlarger, though I don't recall. So this 4x5 thing is uncharted territory for me...pretty excited about it, though!

Thanks again, and for the welcome as well.
    Audi

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Here's a photo of the enlarger in question:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enlarger.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like some version of a D2, which is a 4x5 enlarger - you need to peruse KHB: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/DiscEnlargers.htm (click on Discontinued Enlargers)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin