Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Sinks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polyglot, thanks for that suggestion. I do have a Jobo but am really an open tray type of guy. I even process my sheet film in a tray.
    John, really interesting that Peter Michaels is still going, and I remember having a tour of his factory when I was training with Kodak way back in the seventies! I have checked the link, thanks for that, and will give them a call.
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had fiberglass and stainless steel sinks, but if I ever make a new darkroom I will build one from plywood, formica, and epoxy sealer. That way I can get the exact size I want, in the exact location, with the drains placed where I want them. Build your own!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony i built mine 700mm x 2400mm from 16mm structure ply and 125mm x 16mm tas oak for the sides. Glued and screwed together with 3 coats of marine 2 pot epoxy. The epoxy cost more than the rest of the materials together. Biggest problem is that it stains very easily so you got to wipe up pretty quickly (mine is stained, i'm not that quick). Any sheet metal worker should be able to build a sink, but i hate to think of the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I searched for about eight months, and then I got two quotes from local companies to fabricate a stainless steel sink, and both were around $500. I then found one at Bunnings, made by Clark for around $550. About a week after I saw the Clark one at Bunnings, I found the same one on eBay from Perth, brand new. $50 for the sink and $50 for postage. It wasn't quite as large as the one I got quoted but it does the job nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had mine made from plastic sheet. The plastic is about 3-5mm thick with 150mm high sides and it sits on kitchen cabientry (made by the people doing our kitchen at the time). I had one end include a 'well' which keeps running water confined to that end. If I was to make another one, I'd consider making the walls of the sink minimal. I also have more of the plastic sheet running along the back of the sink (about 500mm high) and on the end near the well area.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

bathtub refinish

I made a sink from 3/4" plywood and 1x8 fir. I applied three coats of that epoxy base paint used to refurbish bathtubs. I bought the paint at Home Depot for about $35.00. It does not stain and makes a nice shines easy to clean surface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a followup on my previous thread page 1. I designed my sink to be 10 inches deep to avoid accidental splashes getting out and with three removable panels covering the top. That way when not used as a sink I have six feet of additional counter top. The faucets are on the opposite end from the drain. The resin I used came with some type of liquid wax to be added in the mix for the last coat. It dried to a shiny surface.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    http://www.sculptureand photography.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I had mine made from plastic sheet. The plastic is about 3-5mm thick with 150mm high sides and it sits on kitchen cabientry (made by the people doing our kitchen at the time). I had one end include a 'well' which keeps running water confined to that end. If I was to make another one, I'd consider making the walls of the sink minimal. I also have more of the plastic sheet running along the back of the sink (about 500mm high) and on the end near the well area.
    Great idea!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for plastic. I had a local TAP plastic shop cut up a sheet of black ABS for me. The sink is 8' long, 2' wide. Glued it together using ABS solvent in convenient tubes and syringes. No leaks and quite strong. Easy to fit a drain into as well, just drill a round hole. Easy to add accessories like faucets. The sink sits on an old office table, with slats giving a slight tilt downstream. Works great and fairly cheap, less than $200. Designing a drain/vent system was probably more complicated than making the sink.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ABS is easy to fabricate. I had the good fortune of knowing a profession lead sheet welder who specialized in nuclear reactor liners. So he had
    the proper skills and gear to heat-weld me a polypropylene sink, which is a highly chemical resistant plastic which can't be glued like ABS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin