Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,854   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darkroom Sinks

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yep. I ran into the same problem here in Puerto Rico. So I'm in the process of building my own.
    'tis an ill wind that blows no minds...

Shooter
    35mm
    I did suggest the wooden-boat option, but as Polyglot mentioned, a sink is not actually that essential for most printing - just a (very) nice-to-have. My darkroom (a.k.a. spare bedroom) has no water inlets or outlets or sinks of any sort or size. I just have to carry trays over to the bathroom for washing prints, or the trays themselves.

On the 'wet' side I use a Novatech processor plus developing trays of various sizes with occasionally a frame shape of 30mm square wood taped at the edges of the desk, covered by a sheet of builders-polythene, taped down around the edge of the frame. A very temporary solution, and I rarely do it because any small splashes are absorbed by a newspaper covering of the desk (that is binned before it dries). Now I have jinxed myself and will drop a 20" tray . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks once again for all the comprehensive replies...these forums are a treasure! Martin, I am moving house and finally have a big space that we just be a darkroom...hooray! For years I have struggled with a laundry sink so this time I want a proper wet bench and will probably go down the build my own route.
    Shame, because a few years ago the plastic and stainless sinks were everywhere as people disposed of their darkrooms...I suppose they all went to the tip ):

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Ralph, thanks for that offer, but I would imagine that post to Australia would be horrendous! The used restaurant sink sounds promising, or I may go down the route of building my own. Trouble is that I'm out in the sticks, so things are hard to get. There were so many for sale a few years back, but the supply seems to have dried up.
    Toobad.it's headed for the dumpster now.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update. I saw a fellow down the street yesterday, he owned a photo lab here many years ago, so on the off chance I asked if he still had a darkroom sink. Guess what, he still has it under his house...going there on Monday...result!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Update. I saw a fellow down the street yesterday, he owned a photo lab here many years ago, so on the off chance I asked if he still had a darkroom sink. Guess what, he still has it under his house...going there on Monday...result!
    Score!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well done ...Everything is out there you just have to ask the right person

Of course I would also ask him if he has anything else.....Hmmm

Good luck with your sink

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here in Germany, in the DIYs, they sell what they call shower cups. The standard size is 90 x 90 outer measure, and it's big enough to water a 50 x 60 cm paper in it. They have an enamel cover and are rather robust (and heavy...). The other day when I came around they had one with some ugly scratches, and I could get it for 45 % off. So I bought it for my new darkroom, I'll see if it's as good for it as I hope. It's not too deep (19 cm), but huge! My hope is to have a sink where I can splash around with anything and not watering the whole room

Rolf

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Darkroom Sinks

Pontoons?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Pontoons?
    Well, googling for it, I find pontoons way too large, but there may be smaller ones. Anyway, I might want to take a bath together with my photos

Here is what I got: http://www.hornbach.de/shop/Duschwan...vl=artikel_img

Rolf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin