Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 842

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You have it right. You put the film, the reel, a tool for opening the cassette (for 35mm) the tank and the lid into the bag, zip it up, open the cassette, load the reel, put the reel into the tank, put the lid on the tank and then open the bag.

You can put the cap on the lid outside the bag.

Get yourself a practice roll of film and practice!

The earlier advice to look at Youtube is excellent.
    does this adhere to 120 spool as well? thanks Matt!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by aRolleiBrujo View Post
    does this adhere to 120 spool as well? thanks Matt!
    Yes cept you need to use more liquid with a 120 spool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm, 120 same-same.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As people have suggested above, practice. I think it may be best if you have some old, unexposed film you can sacrifice, both in 35mm and 120. Something that you will never use, because once it is exposed to the light, it is "ruined."

I would first practice loading both types of film on your reels in the light, so you can see what you are doing and how it works. Look carefully at how the 120 film is rolled and taped to the paper, and how the 35mm is attached to the spool (and how to open the cartridge). Get a good idea of how to load onto the reels, in the correct direction, and how to tell this by feel.

If you spend a lot of time looking at and playing with it, you will have a better idea as to what is going on when you do it "for real" in the dark bag.

Practice a lot, eventually without looking at what you are doing unless you are having difficulty.
    Then, practice in the changing back - a lot.

I'd done a good job with stainless reels and 120/35mm, however, with the intention of eventually doing 110 film (16mm), I practiced while watching TV (110 doesn't seem quite so easy to me). Loading and unloading, at first paying attention to make sure I got it right, and then to the point it was a fairly easy process.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alas my fixer has put a damper on my development dallying until Friday!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That will give you lots of practice time!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't get discouraged. By far the most difficult part is loading the film onto the reel correctly. Once you have mastered that without screwing up the film, the rest is a piece of cake!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you have a stainless steel tank with a stainless steel lid, I can attest that most of them are not very tight with respect to leakage. May I offer the advice of just using a little bit of electric tape and seal the seam where the lid fits, after the lid is on? It will with 99% certainty make your developing session a lot tidier.

Also, loading the film really is the hardest part. To practice a lot is very good advice. When I first learned how to develop film I also made a few practice wet rounds, where I used water instead of chemicals and used empty reels, just to get the feel for what it was like to pour chemicals in and out of the tank, and the work flow of handling the processing liquids. It was helpful.

When you finally get around to finally processing real film, take good care to make precise measurements with respect to mixing your chemicals, and please pay attention to temperature. It does matter that your chemicals and wash water are at the same temperature, and it takes one big variable out of wondering what went wrong when it inevitably does.

Good luck. Have fun! Enjoy the magic.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    sad news i loaded the paper on the reel. my film is kill. ill update again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's why it's good idea to practice first It's not an easy job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin