Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,480   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

A developing tank question

Would this rod, reel, and tank be air tight, when I develop my film negative, or, will it need to be loaded with the caffenol in complete darkness? I am a very rookie rookie, please excuse my ignorance! Thank you!

20140727_205933 by a.rodriguezpix, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a great experiment for you:

1) Put the reel in the tank;
    2) With the lid off of the tank, pour enough tap water into the tank to fully submerge the reel, plus another 1/4 inch or so;
    3) Take the tank and dump that water into a measuring beaker. Note the volume of the water in the beaker - that is a good measure for future use of that tank with that reel; next
    4) Pour the water back into the tank;
    5) Put the lid on to the tank, but leave the smaller cap off;
    6) Without removing the lid, try to pour the water back into the measuring beaker. It should flow out without too much trouble through the opening at the top. Check that the volume is at least close to the volume you poured in; next
    7) Pour the water back into the tank through the opening you poured it out. It will help if you tip the tank slightly and pour carefully; and
    8) Put the cap on the top, to cover the opening. Try to see if the cap stays on when you invert and agitate the tank, and whether it leaks appreciably.

The opening in the tank is actually a light baffle - it should permit filling and emptying the tank with chemicals without letting in light. Practice a bit with it and tap water first, so you get a feel of how fast you can pour.

Don't forget to dry out the tank and lid and cap and reel before you use it. Air drying is usually fine.

That tank looks like it might have some rust in it. When you do your experiment, check for rust or sediment in the water. You don't want that on your film.

And by the way, APUG works best when uploaded images are a bit smaller than this one - 850 pixels on a side I think.

Quote Originally Posted by aRolleiBrujo View Post
    Would this rod, reel, and tank be air tight, when I develop my film negative, or, will it need to be loaded with the caffenol in complete darkness? I am a very rookie rookie, please excuse my ignorance! Thank you!

20140727_205933 by a.rodriguezpix, on Flickr
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Here is a great experiment for you:

1) Put the reel in the tank;
    2) With the lid off of the tank, pour enough tap water into the tank to fully submerge the reel, plus another 1/4 inch or so;
    3) Take the tank and dump that water into a measuring beaker. Note the volume of the water in the beaker - that is a good measure for future use of that tank with that reel; next
    4) Pour the water back into the tank;
    5) Put the lid on to the tank, but leave the smaller cap off;
    6) Without removing the lid, try to pour the water back into the measuring beaker. It should flow out without too much trouble through the opening at the top. Check that the volume is at least close to the volume you poured in; next
    7) Pour the water back into the tank through the opening you poured it out. It will help if you tip the tank slightly and pour carefully; and
    8) Put the cap on the top, to cover the opening. Try to see if the cap stays on when you invert and agitate the tank, and whether it leaks appreciably.

The opening in the tank is actually a light baffle - it should permit filling and emptying the tank with chemicals without letting in light. Practice a bit with it and tap water first, so you get a feel of how fast you can pour.

Don't forget to dry out the tank and lid and cap and reel before you use it. Air drying is usually fine.

That tank looks like it might have some rust in it. When you do your experiment, check for rust or sediment in the water. You don't want that on your film.

And by the way, APUG works best when uploaded images are a bit smaller than this one - 850 pixels on a side I think.
    Matt, Thank you very much for the through information! I actually has had the urge to test in under the tap, I wonder if it is the nervous excitement of self developing film,and the whole film experience overall! I had to ask, what may seem obvious,to the knowledge, because I am clueless about a large amount of things, and even more so doing this! I can't wait for the fixer, and my film loading bag thing, to arrive this coming Monday! Thank you once more, and happy photography! -Americo

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    That tank lid does not seem to have a light baffle ! I think I can see the wood of the desk through the hole. What does the under side of the lid look like? If you can see through to the spiral with the lid on then it is not light tight and will fog the film whan adding or emptying developer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear aRolleiBrujo,

As noted above, your tank will not be light tight. Don't use it. Functioning tanks can be had for the cost of two or three rolls of film.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will third the absence of a light baffle on the tank lid.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's funny - I didn't think that I was seeing the table top through the hole, but rather a discoloured part of the light baffle in the lid.

Now that I have read what others have posted, and looked again, I think they may be right.

You should not be able to see anything but baffle material when you look through the hole in the lid.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will take another photo soon, just for show and tell, however, I think I'll just be safe, and buy the correct one ASAP! Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks to me as if you have expired/discolored developer on the inside of that tank cap, not the table top. Can yu see through the hole? If so, toss in recycling bin. If not, wash thoroughly, make sure it fits the tank.

If it fits the tank, you should be light-tight. If it's at all loose (it should be snug but not impossible to remove) then toss and buy new -- they aren't expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin