Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,487   Online: 837

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Guess I just need to wait for a good deal on a nice rotatrim.

Or use a matt-cutter with a measuring/aligning arm? It is then a multi-functional bit of kit.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    For anyone who has used the Ilford rolls, what is the inner diameter of the core? Can you run a rod all the way through it or does it need to be supported by two short pegs?
    All rolls, IME, have an industrial strength durr-durr*, at least an inch or greater in diameter. You can easily put a stiff ¾ inch steel rod through the durr-durr from which to support the roll on wall hooks or in a support base, which with the addition of a PVC irrigation pipe to ease rolling friction, is exactly what I do. Plastic end caps, installed on larger rolls to prevent the cardboard durr-durr from collapsing when fully loaded, must be pulled first.

My experience is mostly with 40" and 42" rolls. I suppose there are (or were) automated roll delivery systems for commercial purposes. I've never seen one. Most of these probably dealt best with RC, but IME, rolls of fiber (Ilford, Oriental, Kentmere, Forte…) are extremely difficult to cut without scuffing or scoring the emulsion (BTW, care must also be exercised when trimming for final presentation as well). The Rotatrim T looks interesting, but unproven and beyond my budget for occasional uses. Safe cutting and handling is where the rubber meets the road in regards to fiber rolls. This is a major consideration in charging considerably more for any large print made from roll paper. You would have to weigh any perceived cost savings using smaller rolls instead of pre-cut against the considerable extra hassle.

I always plan for wastage, keeping the cuts well outside the trim-able image area when I use my OLO cutter. I store smaller cut and test sheets in regular paper safes up to 20"x24". I keep up to three 30" – 42" wide cuts carefully rolled into my homemade 6" ABS pipe safe. But basically, it is an on time, on demand process for me – pull paper from box and mount on wall, cut (x2), return roll to light safe bag and box, enlarge (x2), process (x2), repeat until finished – at which time I am awfully glad to return the convenience of smaller pre-cut papers.

* The durr-durr is a sniglet, one which, ala the empty toilet paper roll, may be use as a musical instrument – durr, durr-durr, durr...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the interest of dealing with curl, has anyone tried temporarily reverse rolling a portion of a roll of paper onto another core, storing it for a few days, and then cutting it into sheets?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That would imply it being emulsion-out and therefore at greater risk from the bag/box it's in. My assumption is that one runs it over an edge when taking it off the roll to get most of the curl out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin