Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,149   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson 4 x 5 Developing Tank

Hi everebody

I want to know about your experience with this product.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...et_Film_6.html

I want to change my way to develop 4 x 5 sheets. I used trays and often I have scratchs, so...

With the pictures of this product, I don't understand. Is it daylight or not? There is no funnel who protect from light. Do we change liquid in darkness?

Any comments are welcomed.

Kind regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using one of these setups since they first came available. Once the film is loaded and the funnel snapped in it's a totally daylight system. The instructions say you should always load 6 sheets, so I keep a couple of dummy sheets around for times when I'm doing fewer than 6 real exposures.

Like any daylight tank system, it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of loading. Start out in daylight with some scrap film, eyes open, to see how it plays. Then advance to daylight, eyes closed, to build up your confidence. I've had no trouble, and no scratches. I still tray-develop when I have a lot of sheets to do, but I probably use this more.

There's been a lot of discussion of this on the Large Format Photography Forum, you might pop over there and search for MOD54 and MOD-54.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Works great for me. I have both the original Mod 54 and the newer one. There is a You Tube video on how to use it which is very helpful. Loading the film is something you will need to develop a feel for. This is not dissimilar from having to learn to load roll film. The mistakes I initially made were agitating too vigorously and loading the film backwards. Like many things there is a little learning curve. A good system. Yes, it is a daylight system, once you have loaded the film into the tank. Change iquid in the light just like other Paterson products. I like mine. Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I stopped using it and switched to trays.

The part the holds the film would ether scratch the film or not actually hold the film securely causing the film to dislodge and touch another sheet if film thus ruining both sheets of film.

I had these problems with multiple film types and even with very little agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw these tanks earlier and they're intriguing. I already use a Yankee agitank and they're ok. They take more chemistry then the Paterson talks. Once in a while, I see the stainless steel Nikor tanks on ebay. But they're not cheap.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    I stopped using it and switched to trays.

The part the holds the film would ether scratch the film or not actually hold the film securely causing the film to dislodge and touch another sheet if film thus ruining both sheets of film.

I had these problems with multiple film types and even with very little agitation.
    The parts for the original version were cut from plastic sheet, and the cut edges were a little rough. I spent an hour with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a thin dowel to smoothe all the film-facing edges, and have never had a scratch. But then I never had a scratch before I did this, either. The newer model is, I think, injection molded and may be better in this regard, but I haven't seen one.

I've never had a sheet dislodge when agitating per the instructions with FP4+, TMY-2, or Acros. I'm also careful to run my finger along all the film edges once I've loaded the film to check for uniform spacing, which should be the case if the film is properly loaded. You can feel the edges of all three films at the same time, so this is very easy to do.

The key seems to be to work very carefully and deliberately. Developing film is not something I do when I'm tired, short of time, or preoccupied with other things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the original version. The only time I've had it scratch the emulsion, was when I loaded the sheets back-to-front. Very much a case of user error.

The MOD54 takes a little swearing to load correctly the first time, and Paterson tanks can get a bit dribbly when inverted; but it's a convenient set-up if you don't have a dark room.
    Last edited by ruby.monkey; 08-10-2014 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: MOD54, not 45. I r innumerate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The things they are not showing is the center spool holder and funnel cap which goes with it. I hope it is included myself before I purchase the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An alternative is the Jobo 2509n which fits in the 2500 series tanks. They are discontinued and the few on sale new are expensive, but I got myself a couple of sets second hand. I find them easy to load.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another alternative is a Paterson Orbital with the motorized base, haven´t tried it and it´s out of production (a.f.a.i.k) but it seems as easy as it gets..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin