Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,870   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Build Your Own ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    ............ The surface plate is 12" x 10" with 760 1.5mm dia holes on a 1cm grid (I was pretty good at drilling 1.5mm holes by the time I finished!) ..............
    Steve
    Steve, this has been a long time rolling around in the back of my brain. I would think you considered Peg Board as the flat surface because it is pre-drilled but you must have rejected it for some reason. Am I right? If so, what was that reason?

Shooter
    35mm

No vibration

The easel I am using is not particularly refined..no vacuum control to reall speak of for different paper size..thank God for creating duct tape...I think it was on the fourth day. It is heavy though. It have a heavy layer of felt glued to the backside at the factory. I have not weighed the easel but it must be approaching 25 pounds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter you should probably try just covering the unused area of the vacuum bed with sheets of paper to allow for a full vacuum buildup. That will pull all surfaces in tight and the vibration should stop.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gary. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I had the vibration when the all the holes of the easel were covered by a large piece of thick paper. So far, I've changed the fitting going into the easel to minimze air leaks at that point, and I've switched to a heavy flexible plastic vacuum hose. This one isn't ribbed. It's made out of a thick rubberly plastic that dampens vibration well. With these changes there is much less vibration. When it's on and covered with paper, I can still feel vibration by resting my palm on the paper, but it's much less. It's about the same amount of vibration that my color head has when the fans are running. It's small enough that I'll try making some prints and seeing if I notice any problems.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Peter
    www.desmidt.net

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Steve, this has been a long time rolling around in the back of my brain. I would think you considered Peg Board as the flat surface because it is pre-drilled but you must have rejected it for some reason. Am I right? If so, what was that reason?
    Hi Bruce,
    I must admit that I hadn't considered peg board, probably because I don't remember having seen any for years. If we're talking about the same product (hardboard with about 3/16th inch holes) I'd have been concerned about the board flexing inwards at the middle when under vacuum (perhaps some supports would have sorted that) and also the relatively large size of the holes. I went for smaller ones (in 1/8th inch thick ally) because a) they wouldn't get in the way of viewing as much as larger ones and b) the picture of the vacuum easel that someone showed me had little holes. Even my ally sheet has a central support "just in case". Perhaps larger holes would have allowed me to use a vacuum cleaner with less suck (and hence less noise).
    I'm trying to convince myself that the uncovered holes are useful in hoovering up any airborne dust that would otherwise settle, but perhaps they are just sucking in more dust from outside the darkroom!
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whom else has vac easel solutions and problems? How do you rate the "suck" power for comparison purposes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might want to invest in a neoprene or similar pad underneath the easel.
    www.sciplus.com has plenty, larger ones with adhesive on the bottom even.

Rigid PVC won't help the vibration, i've always used a rubber hose that is similar to what one uses with a vacuum cleaner.

You could find a vacuum/pressure guage and possibly install it in the easel or inline with the vacuum hose. The vacuum is usually specified as Hg/in. My Sandmar/Olec vacuum frame pulls 15" Hg.

I've made a vacuum easel by cutting a hollow door in half and duct-taping the open end. Drilled many tiny holes in a pattern and hooked a tube up to it. It worked fine for me. I'm sure the door wasn't perfectly flat but my prints were sharp enough that I didn't care.

If you are printing 11x14's on your 20x24 vac. easel, you should place the 11x14 in the center and find scrap prints or pieces of paper to block off the surrounding holes in the easel. It makes for better suction..

The vacuum is usually rated in terms of Hg/in. My Sandmar/Olec vacuum frame pulls 15 to 18 Hg/in. The higher the number, the greater the compression/pull..
    Anyone feel free to correct me on any of that..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin