Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,069   Online: 1220

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

High Constrast B&W Film

Since Kodak no longer makes Tech Pan 4 x 5 film, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Arista APHS Ortho Litho Film? The purpose of my mission is for my next trip where I will be photographing pictographs and petroglyphs that require very high contrast film to properly capture. However, Arista states that this film should be developed in "A&B" chemicals (whatever this is?). My experience has been that good old HC110 works for about everything?
    Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    However, Arista states that this film should be developed in "A&B" chemicals (whatever this is?).

Lith A/B was (is?) the standard Kodak lith developer

My experience has been that good old HC110 works for about everything?

HC110 Dilution A, D19 or Dektol should provide a high enough contrast.

Other than Lith film you should be able to get a reasonably high enough contrast with Plus x or even Pan F in D19

Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Since Kodak no longer makes Tech Pan 4 x 5 film, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Arista APHS Ortho Litho Film? The purpose of my mission is for my next trip where I will be photographing pictographs and petroglyphs that require very high contrast film to properly capture. However, Arista states that this film should be developed in "A&B" chemicals (whatever this is?). My experience has been that good old HC110 works for about everything?
    I have worked with this film in masking applications using Dektol in dilutions ranging from 1-10 (sharp masks) to 1-30 (unsharp masks). This film has the capability of producing continuous tone negatives with that developer. A&B developer would have the capability of producing very high contrasts with this film...perhaps higher then you want for pictorial applications. I would think that this developer application with this film would dump the midtone values.

I believe that Jim Galli uses this film in camera. You might want to check with him on his procedure. I understand that most rate it at between EI 3 and EI 6 when used in camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hortense, you might give Efke 25 a try in 4x5. It builds contrast readily and will work with regular developers. I've had good luck with both PMK and Pyrocat. It isn't sensative to reds, so depending on your background color, it may or may not work with the petroglyphs. Here's a link to the data which shows a curve for development giving plenty of contrast. Try running it fairly slowly to kick it up off of the toe, no problem with premature shouldering, as it has enough on top to build contrast. tim

http://www.jandcphotography.com/efkedata.htm

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Imagelink is available in 4x5 sheets from J&C Photo. It's a microfilm very similar to Tech Pan except for lacking the extended red sensitivity. It can be developed to pictorial contrast using a low contrast developer (J&C sell a couple sutable ones, though I've found HC-110 G and Caffenol LC to work well with the 16 mm version), but in a strong developer it will easily get to 1000:1 contrast. Pictorial speed is about EI 25 to 32; high contrast speed is probably very similar to what you'd expect from Tech Pan in the same process.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don
    Thank you for the reply and the Jim Galli contact. It sounds to me that this Ortho/Litho film would work. I'll try it and see if I need to dilute it if neccessary to avoid excessive contrast.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin