Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,223   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would this be an OK enlarger

Hello,

this enlarger has not moved on eBay, even after being relisted 3 times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

It so happens this is pretty close to where I live, so I could just drive up and get it.

Would it be worth offering the guy $25 for it? I realize that it won't do MF or LF, but it could be a start.

My situation--contact printing stuff on the way. No real darkroom. I would set this up in a bathroom and tear down when done.

Thanks for any comments.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm

Make your offer

I think for $25 you will get your moneys' worth. Plan on replacing the lens as it is not a top quality optic. Look for a 2.8 El Nikkor, Componon S or Apo Rodagon in 50mm.

Had one of these in the 1970's. Don't expect anything other than 35mm 8x10. Variable Contrast printing has to be done with a set of filters in the draw.

it will work fine. I had mine in a temporary bathroom darkroom and it worked fine. I got a small piece of wood to put over the sink and this baby isn't heavy.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Make sure you can get bulbs for it and you are willing to use sheet filters for VC paper.

The lens is probably junk.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The easel with it is probably worth the best part of the starting price.

In cases like this, I'm a big believer in grabbing something, trying it, see how it works out. At the very worst, you'll have a MUCH better idea what to look for when you're ready to put down big bucks for your "real" system.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In its day this was an excellent enlarger more than capable of far larger prints than 10x8 as long as you get a decent lens.

Bulbs are easily available, as is a colour head if you wait patiently. I've an M601 essentially the same but up to 6x6 and it's still superb after 20+ years.

You could try the wanted adds on this site for a colour head. I should add its still a good enlarger its just colou heads became intregal in Durst enlargers and not a separate add on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure, if he'll take $25 for the lot - the easel and the bulk film holder together are worth that (if you had to go out and buy them). The enlarger is a bonus then. You are close by, so you don't have to pay the shipping cost. This is probably why he isn't getting buyers. It isn't worth the cost of shipping in today's market.

-chuck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would look for a better enlarger. You don't have to spend a fortune but for $100-150 or so if you are patient you can do a lot better probably including a better lens. By the time you are done buying safe lights, trays, print washer, all types of containers both measuring and storage, thermometers, focusing scopes, paper safe,timer, etc,etc,etc the enlarger will only be a percentage of the cost. If you just want to get your "feet wet" I would suggest looking for a complete package. If that package contained a similar quality enlarger to the one you are thinking about and most everything you needed than I would get the package. If you are going to stock your darkroom piecemeal then as I mentioned I would look for a better enlarger. Hope this makes sense.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Matt, by the way, another great source for used enlargers in the bay area is CraigsList. www.craigslist.com. Go to For Sale, type in "darkroom" or "enlarger" in the general for sale category, and you'll see tons of stuff, all within driving distance.

-chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it will be a good enlarger for 35mm.
    A better lens (used) will improv the "enalrgability" as suggested by the other members.
    The beslar is not a bad lens for starters though.

If I were you I'd buy one of those TV-carts with casters and bolt the enlarger to it, so you can roll it in-out of the bthrooms and keep all your stuff in he cart.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin