Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,015   Online: 690

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am totally with you, Kev...I hate those falling-apart-every-10-seconds bamboo tongs. worthless.... I have some plastic ones that I adore...but I needed another pair (that's when I bought the bamboo). I looked everywhere...including kitchen stores, but one day I was walking through the grocery store, and there, in a bin of cookies was the perfect pair of tongs. I grabbed them and cornered a young kid stocking shelves. I snapped the tongs a few times and asked where the manager was. Poor kid almost fell off his plastic milk carton. When the young manager appeared, I asked him how much for the tongs. He was a little frazzled, and assured me I could just take them.... ("take the tongs, lady..please, just take them!") haha. Best darn tongs I have! Even if they do say "Voortmann Cookies" on the side!!

I've since had one of the other plastic pairs break, but I duct taped the hoolies out of them & they work like a charm. Good thing...I'd have to go back to that grocery store.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I share the concern about bamboo - they are OK provided you religiously restrict each tool to one chemical (ie, the developer tongs never touch any other chemical).
    When I first started out (more than 27 years ago) I got a set of tongs similar to those used by Flotsam - still have one, but it's mate broke. Later I found a set of stainless steel tongs with rubber tips. I've looked for replacement plastic tongs without success - I also mail ordered tongs but what I got didn't have rubber tips. Recently, however, I was in a camera shop and they had the rubber-tipped plastic jobs hanging on the rack.

So my conclusion is that you can't buy them by mail - you actually have to see what the dealer has in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm in the minority but I like the bamboo tongs. I've only had one of them to wear out after several years of use--the rubber tips wore through on those I used for developer. The other two tongs from the set are still going strong after at least three years of use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the minority with Lee, I like the bamboo tongs, and have never had the tips fall off after years of use. The ends are colour coded so I use the same colour with the same chemical each time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I guess I'm in the minority but I like the bamboo tongs. I've only had one of them to wear out after several years of use--the rubber tips wore through on those I used for developer. The other two tongs from the set are still going strong after at least three years of use.
    I agree Lee S, they are just fine..there may be different mfg's of them, mine have never fallen apart..and I don't think I handle them with 'kid gloves' so I would not write them off, for the money I think they are great.

The nitrle gloves can be found at some of the home improvement stores...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    The nitrle gloves can be found at some of the home improvement stores...
    Good to know - thanks

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    The tips didn't fall off they actually fell apart from the top. The plastic part that holds the bamboo sticks in place. And honestly I wouldn't buy another pair as I only had them for 3 months. They were cheap but again you get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    The tips didn't fall off they actually fell apart from the top. The plastic part that holds the bamboo sticks in place. And honestly I wouldn't buy another pair as I only had them for 3 months. They were cheap but again you get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks,

Kev
    I must have gotten the same ones as you cause mine did exactly the same thing. Every time I tried fishing a print out, one of the arms would fall out! Gr!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    I haven't used them for years because I was tired of trying to fish my prints out of the developer with bamboo chopsticks.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin