Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,541   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

NEeds tongs and advice!

I have been looking for tongs and I bought some bamboo ones and they fell apart after a week of use. I looked around and either I find the cheap horrible ones or the ones with the spring. I just want a pair that I control the pressure by squeezing together and ones that will not fall apart.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you considered using gloves rather than tongs? Nitrile gloves fit snugly enough so it's like working bare handed. I switched to gloves a year ago and won't ever go back to tongs.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have used this type of tong, (bamboo), for 20+ years and never had that problem... I do remove the platsic or rubber tips though as I feel they are too hard to keep clean for long periods of use (over months of use), as chemicals might become trapped under the tip's pads, etc.)... I replace the tongs maybe every year... have never seen anything that would indicate they are coming apart... Maybe you have a bad pair and should take them back to the photo shop you purchased them from... try a pair of name brand ones if they weren't already?
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    That is the problem no one really sells them. I had to order on-line. And gloves is a hassel having to take them off all the time between testing and exposing.

I do not live near photo stores so teh only way I can get anythign is mail order. Any brands you can suggest and a link to go with it?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check with calumet, i got a set last year, steel, with padded tips, not cheap, but work very well. Kosiner i believe was the maker

Images
    These are the ones that I have used for years. They have good sensitive feel and the rubber tips give a positive hold. I just ordered a new pair because after many years, the rubber tips have hardened and started to crack and split. I ordered mine from Adorama but I've seen them on other sites.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tongs.jpg  
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have used both the bamboo and plastic type..like both. Some think the bamboo gets contaminated with the chemicals, but to be honest, I just wash mine and never leave the tongs in the tray..just set the on a corner. The plastic ones are nice because the ends are at an angle which is nice to slip under the print..and then I just left the print out ... Have seen the metal (SS) and they are nice and are suppose to release so that you do not put to much pressure on the print. Think as others have pointed out got to Calumet or Freestyle and order a good set ... mine are labeled for D eveloper, S top, F ix, T oner...to avoid any cross contamination. May not need to, just old habits.

Reminds me, need to get a couple of new sets just to have...if these don't work, try looking in a hardware store or kitchen store..may find a good substitute you can tell us about.

Good luck..
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious - are the gloves you find in the pharmacy department good enough to withstand various photo chemicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    . . .are the gloves you find in the pharmacy department good enough . . . ?
    Good latex ones should be OK, although the nitrile gloves are supposed to be better. I'm not sure I'd trust latex for pyro, however.

The problem with some pharmacy brands is that they are too thin, and the corners of sheet film will poke holes in them. I use "MediTouch" brand gloves made by Ansell, and they seem to wear OK.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I ordered mine from Adorama but I've seen them on other sites.
    I just got my Adorama order and they must have changed their supplier. They ship another brand as their "Adorama" tongs. If I find a place to get ones that I recommended, I'll post it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin