Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,208   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I broke it!

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pablo,

I´ll scan it later tonight or tomorrow.

Following your mentioning of the frigde - once the bulb in my old lamp was broken, so I stole a replacement from our fridge. ;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yup, last time i had to replace my premier safelight bulb I bought 2 bulbs for $2.
    Can't rememebrif it was labeled as refrigerator ir microwave though
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Diquidurst,

For about $2.00 you can get nitrile goves at home depot. Then just work in the dark as if you were developing color in trays.

Neal Wydra

Images
    I don't think I'd like gloves. I think that it would be a PITA to have to take them off and put them back on a hundred times during a session. It is easier just to grab a pair of tongs and keep your hands dry and uncontaminated.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I had a bulb break. I replaced the socket in the lamp so I could use a normal "Candle Light" bulb(Assuming you have one with a filter). Also, I have heard if you use the party bulbs you should put electrical tape around where the glass meets the base. From what I understand sometimes there can be light leaks there because they are not coated as carefully as a bulb designed to be used in a darkroom.
    Carpe Lumen -- seize the Light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eheldreth
    Also, I have heard if you use the party bulbs you should put electrical tape around where the glass meets the base. From what I understand sometimes there can be light leaks there because they are not coated as carefully as a bulb designed to be used in a darkroom.
    Yeah, I've seen those party bulbs and always wondered if those could be used. Can they?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    I hook each of these banks on a switching power supply set to give 12V Output (the "flashlight" is operated with a single 9V block cell) - these cheapo things (<3EUR).
    Okay, that tells me what I need -- for 12V, it's very simple to use a small power supply and battery (which will also keep my darkroom lit for a while if the power goes out, which it does here from time to time), and I should be able to get enough current from a single supply to run several of these arrays. Calculating the correct resistor is easy enough, just need to know the voltage drop and desired current of the diodes (which varies depending on the diode you get, of course). I think I can get/make a few of these arrays and get a small 12V gel cell battery for considerably less than buying a darkroom safelight, which is a Good Thing...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I don't think I'd like gloves. I think that it would be a PITA to have to take them off and put them back on a hundred times during a session. It is easier just to grab a pair of tongs and keep your hands dry and uncontaminated.

Not to derail the thread, but I print with one nitrile glove on my right hand. I keep a darkroom towel handy, and after souping a print, I just rinse my gloved hand off (cold water, since it's cheaper) and it gets drier faster than my skin. Just to be sure, though, I try to only handle the emulsion of dry paper with my left hand. Works a LOT better for me than tongs.

If I'm batch processing prints, I'd use two gloves.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Yeah, I've seen those party bulbs and always wondered if those could be used. Can they?
    I've talked to other's who have used them, I would do my own fog testing before trusting one. You could use any lighting which restricts the wavelength of the light to the appropriate red(I know that's obvious). I have even heard of people painting regular bulbs with dark red nail polish(I don't think I would trust that one). The dimmer the bulb I think the better the chance it will be safe. The advantage I can see, as stated earlier, The party bulbs can be had from $1 - $2 U.S. at most department stores. If you live in an area like mine there are no local photo stores so you mail order everything and it cost $40 and up for a safe light which will take a week or so to arrive. I think I will give one a try next time I need a safelight.
    Carpe Lumen -- seize the Light

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin