Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,650   Online: 862

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I broke it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I broke it!

My safelight bulb, that is. Any simple Home Depot alternatives that'll get me thru till I can order another one? Just doing some printing...

Thanks

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You have a few options:

get a normal 25W bulb and a sheet of Rubylith from the arts store/MCPaper/Printshop nearby. Rubylith is a red masking film used by printers.... two or three layers of it taped over the lamp shade should do it.

The other - solder your own LED safelight. I added an attachment showing what a friend made for me... three of these banks (Red/660nm and Amber/Yellow/595nm, output is around 5000mcd) plus a mini "flashlight" cost me 15EUR in materials and they give LOTS of light. Two banks light my darkroom of approx 3,5x5m size to a level allowing me to read in there. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails led-safelight2.jpg  
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Images
    Go to your local 'Red Light' district. Of course once you get there, you run the risk of losing interest in printing
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha ha ha! You are SO funny, Neal!

But don't you just KNOW that Murphy and his merry band of laws would show up just when I have everything else set up and ready to go to do some experimenting. Actually, I think it was movers ignoring the fragile warnings on some of our boxes.

Now I have some red gels - will those work in pinch?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a 7.5 watt orange bulb for years with graded papers. Don't know about VC.

Shooter
    35mm

Why?

It is very easy to print withoit the use of a safelight. Very low energy costs. No inclination to take a print out of the developer early, Ultra low safelight fogging problems...in fact non existant.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    The other - solder your own LED safelight. I added an attachment showing what a friend made for me... three of these banks (Red/660nm and Amber/Yellow/595nm, output is around 5000mcd) plus a mini "flashlight" cost me 15EUR in materials and they give LOTS of light. Two banks light my darkroom of approx 3,5x5m size to a level allowing me to read in there. :-)
    Roman, two quick questions on this light -- first, is it intended to run directly from mains voltage (and if so, do you have 120V or 240V?), and second, can you post a circuit diagram? I can operate a soldering iron (even have one, and some electronic solder, around here somewhere), and the materials to make that kind of light board are cheap (though I'd probably use all red LEDs -- it'll let me use a higher light level and not worry about VC paper).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Donald,

remember, I didn´t make that. ;-)

I hook each of these banks on a switching power supply set to give 12V Output (the "flashlight" is operated with a single 9V block cell) - these cheapo things (<3EUR).

If you want to, I can upload a scan of the backside, just ask here. All you need is to set the LEDs in serial, add the right kind of resistors.

Depending on your LEDs and the Voltage you run them at, you need to choose the resistors. Jochen used a calculator hosted at
    http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/...widerstand.htm
    , according to his notes it gave: Red: 5LEDs -> 10V 30mA 12V => 68Ohm

I put the banks on the top of two shelves, directed to the ceiling. Thus I get a bright darkroom and it still is safe, even with the Foma papers which usually will get fogged by amber light. Not with these.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get a 15W bulb, I think the ones used for refrigerators are good enough.
    I'm assuming you have the FILTER????
    Otherwise Roman's idea is great, could you post a pic of the back ??

Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    My safelight bulb, that is. Any simple Home Depot alternatives that'll get me thru till I can order another one? Just doing some printing...

Thanks
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mongo had an alternative that I read about on one of the other threads - a 25 watt red "party" bulb. I picked one up for $2 at the supermarket and did a fog test with it last night using J&C Polywarmtone Fiber and Ilford MG RC. Results, with the bulb about four-and-a-half feet away, showed no evidence of fogging even after more than six minutes under the nice red glow. And as a plus I could see around the darkroom much better than with my usual low-watt amber bulb. A very nice, low cost alternative.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin