Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,613   Posts: 1,647,650   Online: 958

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Should I get this second DeVere enlarger ?

I have recently acquired a 504 DeVere enlarger from a defunct commercial photo house and plan to put a LED head on it for mono printing. There is a 507 DeVere from the same source that I can have for virtually no money. Both are the floor-standing type. I have a real space problem in fitting both enlargers into my house, and the 507 would have to be disassembled and jammed in a corner of the darkroom as a very tight fit. There is just nowhere else in my small house to put it. Up to now my maximum size negative has been 6x9 but I am likely to try 5x4 in the future. At this stage I do not think I will ever use 5x7 equipment and I likely will never use the 507 enlarger, although who knows where my photography might lead me.

I am trying to decide whether to get the second enlarger simply because I can and to save it from the landfill site. Nobody else seems to want it but me. I hate to see fine equipment like this discarded.

I am not sure what the extra size of the 5x7 might give me that I cannot get from the 5x4. One thing I suppose is the ability to print 6x17. Also large pinhole shots on 5x7 might have an advantage over 5x4.

Can anyone please help me decide whether I should get this 5x7 .... Are there any extra possibilities from 5x7 that 5x4 can't give me ?

Many Thanks ........ freecitizen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you can save it and don't, you may regret it later. Sounds like these are well built and perhaps you should use it for all sizes that you currently use. I normally used my Beseler 45 for everything including 35mm. Then again, no one has unlimited space.....
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Too bad - I'd be interested in the enlarger (any 4x5 working enlarger) but way up here (Montreal) is a long ways away -lol
    I wonder how much it would cost to ship it - lol
    Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good, and sometimes not

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freecitizen View Post
    I have recently acquired a 504 DeVere enlarger from a defunct commercial photo house and plan to put a LED head on it for mono printing. There is a 507 DeVere from the same source that I can have for virtually no money. Both are the floor-standing type. I have a real space problem in fitting both enlargers into my house, and the 507 would have to be disassembled and jammed in a corner of the darkroom as a very tight fit. There is just nowhere else in my small house to put it. Up to now my maximum size negative has been 6x9 but I am likely to try 5x4 in the future. At this stage I do not think I will ever use 5x7 equipment and I likely will never use the 507 enlarger, although who knows where my photography might lead me.

I am trying to decide whether to get the second enlarger simply because I can and to save it from the landfill site. Nobody else seems to want it but me. I hate to see fine equipment like this discarded.

I am not sure what the extra size of the 5x7 might give me that I cannot get from the 5x4. One thing I suppose is the ability to print 6x17. Also large pinhole shots on 5x7 might have an advantage over 5x4.

Can anyone please help me decide whether I should get this 5x7 .... Are there any extra possibilities from 5x7 that 5x4 can't give me ?

Many Thanks ........ freecitizen

Maybe someone else in your area wants it if you don't...where are you? I'd take a 5x7 enlarger.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The problem with using the 507 for everything is the huge leap in the cost of the LED head. Although LED on the 504 is expensive, it is worth it in my opinion .... but the cost of 5x7 LED is too much, especially as I might never use the extra real estate of the 5x7.

So I'm planning to use the 504 with LED for 6x6 up to 5x4 and the Leica V35 for 35mm.

The 507 really doesn't seem to be fitting in to my current plans very well, and it would be a hassle to keep ..... I just wonder if I pass on it .... I might regret it later. I would like to have a real reason to get it, other just treating it like a " collectible ".

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm in Australia, on the west coast.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freecitizen View Post
    Trust me on this: Once you have started printing from 5x4, you will get a hankering to try something bigger. I'm currently hooked on 5x4, and have a desire to go bigger, much bigger.... At the size I'm contemplating, finding an enlarger is highly unlikely.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just had another look at where it would need to sit in the darkroom and it is not that bad ............ I can fit it in .........

I'm now thinking of getting it mostly to try large format pinhole photography. The advantage here is that the camera can be very cheap and simple. I could probably make it myself.

I'll ask in the pinhole forum if 5x7 is significantly better than 5x4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure what the extra size of the 5x7 might give me that I cannot get from the 5x4

1) It is always easier to print the rebate of 4x5" negatives on a 5x7" enlarger.
    2) Illumination could be more even. I know for a fact the center 4x5" of my 8x10" enlarger is more even than the 4x5" diffuser on my 4x5" enlarger (but this measurable difference may not be evident in my prints).
    3) With a longer bellows on the 5x7" enlarger making reductions is easier.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look at the condition of the two enlargers, it is important that everything works as intended. The DeVere (I had a 5x7" once) is a very good sturdy enlarger. It was easy to move, once one took off the head and the baseboard, at least for two people. The 4x5 and 5x7 models, if I remember correctly, use the same base chassis.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin