Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,158   Posts: 1,614,188   Online: 1252

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kearsarge 402 timer

I own a used Kearsarge 402 timer that has issues with programming the time. If I use the keypad to enter the time then punch "E" to confirm the time, it switches to the next channel instead. If I'm persistent, the time will stick. It just started acting up recently. I wonder if I can fix it or toss it due to its age? It's a great timer otherwise.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like it could use some cleaning inside, where the buttons are placed. Just give it to someone who understands these electronics.

I use two 301 Kearsarge timers that I bought new in the eighties, and would try everything before ditching them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Radio Shack spray contact cleaner has worked well for me in the past. Much depends on how the keypad or switch is constructed though. If you are confident in looking at the guts of electro-mechanical gadgets, open it up and see what's what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip! I think I'll open the timer up to take a look. I'm someone familiar with electronics and I have a brother that works at Intel as a chip engineer. Though very old, the Kearsarge timer is an awesome piece of equipment. I love being able to store times in the channels. Makes burning in prints way easier. I'm hoping the insides are a little dusty and a good cleaning will make it happy again.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I opened up my timer with the encouragement of Hilo and bdial. There was a dead bug inside and some dust. Used come compressed air to blow the circuit board and the buttons out. Now it works normally again. Sure old technology inside, but it's sure robust. Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 12-19-2014 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Pinhole
    "...a dead but..."? Whose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news!
    BTW, that is pretty much exactly how the term "software bug" came into being.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I was pretty sure that's what he meant, but I was unaware of the computer connection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I meant bug

Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    "...a dead but..."? Whose?
    Being dyslexic sucks. Dysgraphia too.

But I debugged my timer. I've heard roaches do a number on electronic gear.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Being dyslexic sucks. Dysgraphia too.

But I debugged my timer. I've heard roaches do a number on electronic gear.
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin