Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,151   Posts: 1,614,067   Online: 1144

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kaiser Print Tongs

After three years of using old bamboo tongs with rubber tips that eventually came off, I recently purchased a set of Kaiser stainless steel print tongs new from B&H for $20. I've just used them for a session in the darkroom and they're a revelation! Soft high-grade plastic (PTFE?) tips that grip the paper firmly but gently, angled to make it easy to grip the paper while holding the tongs over the side of a tray. A lip that prevents them from falling into the tray. Spring loaded action (press to open, release to close under spring pressure) that holds the paper just right. No more dropping paper when transferring from one tray to another because I'm not holding the tongs shut hard enough. Stainless steel so you can wash them clean at the end of the day. I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who is fed up with bamboo tongs!
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 12-20-2014 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bronica ETRSi, Nikon F3 and FM.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. They look worth the money. I generally just grab the prints at the edge w/ my hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    After three years of using old bamboo tongs with rubber tips that eventually came off, I recently purchased a set of Kaiser stainless steel print tongs new from B&H for $20. I've just used them for a session in the darkroom and they're a revelation! Soft high-grade plastic (PTFE?) tips that grip the paper firmly but gently, angled to make it easy to grip the paper while holding the tongs over the side of a tray. A lip that prevents them from falling into the tray. Spring loaded action (press to open, release to close under spring pressure) that holds the paper just right. No more dropping paper when transferring from one tray to another because I'm not holding the tongs shut hard enough. Stainless steel so you can wash them clean at the end of the day. I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who is fed up with bamboo tongs!
    I much prefer the bamboo tongsover stainless or plastic because they give me a firmer grip on the paper due to the rubber tip.alternatively, I'd usemy fingers and medical gloves.A little tip: don't push the paper into the processing tray,just drop it in there.this keeps the paper from sticking to the tray and makes it much easier to get it back out without bending it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About a year ago the spring on the stainless steel tongs I got in the 1970s broke. I got those same Kaiser ones and I am very pleased with them. Better than the ones I used all these years.BTW I only use the tongs for my little test chips. I use a gloved hand for full sheets of paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I splurged when I first set up my darkroom and purchased those tongs. I have never used anything else and have nothing to compare them to, but the are extremely nice and easy to use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin