Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,270   Posts: 1,660,707   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

What kind of filters are these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0328.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	787.4 KB 
ID:	100272

It came with the enlarger when I bought it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a red filter, to keep the paper from exposure, while the enlarger is on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A red filter is included with many enlargers. It's meant for you to project a safe image on the paper for last-minute composition and focus checking before you make the white light exposure.

Funny thing is, I don't remember the last time I ever used mine - even though I go to some trouble to keep it handy and clean.

It would be useful if you use lightweight easels that move when you put the paper in, but my usual easel is solid and doesn't budge when nudged.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In some enlargers, the negative pops after the lamp heats up. One way to avoid this is to leave the light on and use the red filter as a shutter. To prevent enlarger movement while swinging the filter under or away from the lens, hold the other hand under the lens while moving the filter, and control the exposure with that hand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks,

But why two filter? One is dark read (the square one) and the other lighter red.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For different kinds/brands of paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok.
    Thank you very much again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the red filter useful for positioning test strips - I like to have them covering areas of shadow, highlights and the subject.

Andrew
    Bronica ETRSi, Nikon F3 and FM.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always wondered about the grain focusing part, you do that BEFORE the paper is added, FB is thick, this would seemingly "throw off" the "perfect" grain focus, and the red filter would alleviate this by allowing you to focus once the paper is laid down.

Am I the only one who ever wondered if the focus would be off since the paper wasn't down when you're using the grain focuser?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I always wondered about the grain focusing part, you do that BEFORE the paper is added, FB is thick, this would seemingly "throw off" the "perfect" grain focus, and the red filter would alleviate this by allowing you to focus once the paper is laid down.

Am I the only one who ever wondered if the focus would be off since the paper wasn't down when you're using the grain focuser?
    There are long, sometimes acrimonious threads on just this subject.

In essence, the thickness of the paper is well within the depth of focus of the process. If you do the applicable math, you will see that clearly.

The critical distance is the distance between the negative and the principal node of the enlarging lens.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin