Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,670   Online: 1170

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Joining 120 film

One thing that continues to defeat me is loading two 120 films onto one reel for developing. Any advice anyone? What do I use to join the two films together? Do I have to join them? By the way I use the plastic reels.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which reels are you using? The Jobo ones I use you just load the first roll. Lower the red clip to keep it separate. Then load the second one. So I don't join them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Nick, I'm using the Paterson reels.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That seems to be a good idea jdef. I shall give that a try - the tape is difficult to get off the film anyway.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never found it necessary to join the films, they should both go onto a Patterson reel. Without the notched edges, I have often found that a single 120 film can be an awkward to film to load particularly using a changing bag during the summer !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I continue to load the first film all the way until it hits "the end" in the tightest spiral possible and then load the second film normally, like it was going onto an empty reel. I stop cranking on the second one when its end just enters the take-up groove.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jdef,

The film will keep winding even past the ballbearing. Thinking about it, I guess I compress the reel on the twist and the friction alone is enough to advance the film. I've got a Patterson and a generic and it works on both. Give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I unroll both films and "rewind" the secound so I have the the nontaped end at the start. Hold the first one in your right hand (or left if your a lefty) and the start of the secound between thumb and first finger in your left. Line the film edges up and slowly draw the film leader till it catches the tape on the other film. A little practice and I can do it pretty quickly now and get them lined up straight with the first try. If they don't line up, it's a real PITA when the secound roll catches an edge.
    But after reading jdef's method, mine seems more complicated. Will have to try his tonight. And I have a couple of old learning to spool films so I'll be checking out Poco's method too, but in the light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been a while since I shot MF, so I just tested out my "technique" (snort) for loading past the ball bearing on a piece of film. I'm right handed and mainly twist the reel with my right hand while keeping my left stationary. When I twist forward to advance the film, I lower the tip of my middle finger of the right hand to lightly make contact with the film (only touching the film base anyway) and keep it moving forward with the twist, and then raise the finger on the rebound. It turns out I never compress the reel to create friction -- in fact, the looser things stay, the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    I continue to load the first film all the way until it hits "the end" in the tightest spiral possible and then load the second film normally, like it was going onto an empty reel. I stop cranking on the second one when its end just enters the take-up groove.
    I just did this tonight and it worked great, thanks!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin