Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,947   Online: 765

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eight reels in one go?! Blimey, you lot are brave!

I'm an abject coward that doesn't use his three-reel tank and uses his two-reel tank at the most (ever since that nerve-wracking day when I couldn't remember which jug held the Hypam and which held the Ilfotol! (Yes, they are now labelled!)).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It’s not quite that bad Frank, since the 8 reel tank only holds five 120 reels. However when I learn how to get two films on one reel, I can then do 10 films at a time; and still get nothing worth printing!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    A good tip is to clean the reels by a prolonged soaking in Biological washing powder every so often, they load easier afterwards.
    Ian, not to hijack the thread, but what is the cleaner you are using? I could use something to clean the reels in my community darkroom with and a prolonged soaking sounds better than prolonged scrubbing. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sell that one somewhere else, Dave! I've *seen* your prints!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Sell that one somewhere else, Dave! I've *seen* your prints!
    Sometimes I get lucky.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave, I believe the technical term for this pressing of the cap whilst lifting the edge to let the air escape is "burping" the tank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin, here in the Homeland, some of us of a certain age, are still a little sensitive about the use of such terms. However, I must concede that, in this instance, it would seem to be an appropriate description of an essential operation.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    ... I'd never use a tank that takes more than 10secs to fill and drain now that I've become a neurotic perfectionist, though. I'll stick to my 2 reel Jobo tank and be more patient than I was in my youth. I would advise you to do the same, for if you aren't a neurotic perfectionist you'll become one later in your life ;-)
    Too late... I am already obsessive about cleanliness, temperature control, exact repetition, etc. Just the jump from 3 reels to 5 was more than my brittle psyche could bear. I am back to the 3-banger. This is more than idle musing for me. I am falling further and further behind on developing. I have probably 100 rolls in the fridge that need souping. A typical night yields three rolls; a super night yields six. I cannot develop every night so I have a good three months worth of work in front of me. Of course in those three months I will add more rolls to the wrong side of the ledger! Egads, I may never catch up!!
    jk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, Jon, I'm glad that you're alraeary on our side, that saves you time... As for the undeveloped film, don't worry... there's another guy that had the same problem, he was called Gary Winogrand ;-)
    There is a solution th this problem, it's called large format. You shoot less and you get more good pictures.
    Gary W bought a LF camera but never got to use it. His addiction to his Leica was too strong you see, and he never got to shake it before he died.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss
    Hmmm... I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have always used Paterson 3-reel tanks. I am careful and consistent with every facet of my development regimen. As a result, for a couple of decades, I have always had consistent results. Finally, I just needed to get more film proceesed faster so I switched to a Paterson 5-reel tank.
    In the Paterson system I have the 5 and 8 reel tanks. I got the tanks to use with the Paterson reels I got for my Nova dip-and-dunk (my Jobo 1500 series reels don't quite fit the core).

I have just finished my fourth 5-reel session and I am slowly starting to suspect that not all of the reels are seeing the same amount of development. I develop for 9.5 minutes in D-76 at 1:1 with three quick inversions every 30 seconds. Is this possible or am I just imagining things?
    You don't mention which film. Its important since not all films work well with D76 1+1.
    With D-76 1+1:
    - 30 seconds continuous agitation
    Since you are diluting you probably want to move to a 60 sec. inversion. Depending upon film its 2x or 3x every 60 seconds.

IMPORTANT : Make sure that you use enough developer in the tank. For each 120 reel that's 500ml. I tend to use a bit more and grab for a larger tank than the number of reels I'm processing (why I have the 8-reel).
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin