Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,629   Posts: 1,647,968   Online: 1018
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    167

    Are Beseler Color Pro lenses good for black and white? Better than Componon?

    Im trying to set up my black and white darkroom and I want to get the right equipment. I will be printing 35mm, 6x6 and 6x9. I have a 50mm Beseler Color Pro, a 50mm Componon, a 80mm Componon, and a 105 Componon. The last two do not have lensboards because they do not fit in the 39mm beseler lens board I have and they are less than perfect glass. I would like to replace them but not sure what is best for big b+w enlargements.

  2. #2
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,710
    Images
    60
    My 90mm Beseler Color Pro is excellent.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    My 90mm Beseler Color Pro is excellent.
    Matt do you have much to compare it to and would it be big enough for 6x9? Thanks.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    3,365
    That's a bit skimpy on 6x9, but would probably be OK, simply OK. The "normal" for 6x9 is 105, and slightly longer than normal is generally
    preferable. But it sounds like you have old-style Componons (chrome?), nothing relatively modern. Just depends how fussy you want to be;
    but a top-end apo enlarging lens will have somewhat better detail and contrast in terms of microtonality - and also a conspicuously higher price. Beseler lenses were more entry level items.

  5. #5
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,710
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    That's a bit skimpy on 6x9, but would probably be OK, simply OK. The "normal" for 6x9 is 105, and slightly longer than normal is generally
    preferable. But it sounds like you have old-style Componons (chrome?), nothing relatively modern. Just depends how fussy you want to be;
    but a top-end apo enlarging lens will have somewhat better detail and contrast in terms of microtonality - and also a conspicuously higher price. Beseler lenses were more entry level items.
    The Color Pro lenses were Beseler's "premium" line when they were current. Most likely, they are re-badged versions of lenses manufactured by Schneider, or Rodenstock.

    Many of the results of a google search on the subject will include the reports of fans. I like mine - but I wouldn't expect it to handle 6x9 well.

    Here is what appears to be Beseler's promotional materials, courtesy of KHB: http://www.khbphotografix.com/Used/ColorPro.htm

    EDIT: From time to time I use mine to make enlargements that are also within the recommended range for my late model 80mm Rodagon lens. The two lenses give me similar, high quality results.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Color Pro lenses were Beseler's "premium" line when they were current. Most likely, they are re-badged versions of lenses manufactured by Schneider, or Rodenstock.

    Many of the results of a google search on the subject will include the reports of fans. I like mine - but I wouldn't expect it to handle 6x9 well.

    Here is what appears to be Beseler's promotional materials, courtesy of KHB: http://www.khbphotografix.com/Used/ColorPro.htm

    EDIT: From time to time I use mine to make enlargements that are also within the recommended range for my late model 80mm Rodagon lens. The two lenses give me similar, high quality results.
    Matt, thanks for posting that. I was wondering if Color Pro , Im assuming it is color corrected or made for color printing would be less than optimal for black and white printing. Does that matter at all?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,641
    Color Pro is only a product name & had nothing to do with color/bw abilities.
    Expletive Deleted!

  8. #8
    Patrick Robert James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    377
    Images
    28
    The Color Pros I believe were Computars, which are a little better than your average Componon assuming it hasn't separated which they are apt to do. I think the Beseler HD lenses were the Rodenstocks. I have a couple of Computars and can tell you they are highly underrated. They are designed a little differently from other enlarging lenses. There is a lot more glass. They look like they should be a stop faster than they are. In my experience they are better wide open than other lenses (other than APOs). Somewhere in one of these forums the designer explained the difference in the design, but I don't remember the specifics.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    167
    do you know how many elements the Color Pro lenses are ?

  10. #10
    RPC
    RPC is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFlorida View Post
    do you know how many elements the Color Pro lenses are ?
    According to old Beseler literature I have on them, they all have six elements in four groups. They were available in 50, 75, 90, 105 and 135mm. I have the 135 but never use it much before I bought my Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin