Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,129   Online: 1192

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Problem with neg carrier

I've bought a used glassless 6x6 neg carrier for my Beseler MX and it had the glue mark of an old sticker that some previous owner put on it. I stupidly tried to remove the old glue with alcohol and the black colour of the aluminium started to go off... :-(
    Then I stupidly tried to mend this with a black permanent marker, that gave the thing a glossy black colour that has nothing to do with the matte black colour of the carrier.

Would anyone have an idea of what I can do to restore the original black look of my negative carrier ?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    George
    There is a lamp black paint that we use to tone down the filed back areas of neg carriers. once dry it is not easily removed, marker inks will come off every time you clean the carrier. I am sorry but I do not know where you get the lamp black paint, but a specialty paint store would be my first choice

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try a product called ALUMINUM BLACK
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lets try this again. Try ALUMINUM BLACK it is used to fix scratches on firearms. It is an oxidizer not a paint available from better gun stores or from brownells gunsmithing supplies online.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Γιώργο, try the german store Microtools which was suggested to me in anther thread about restoring old cameras. In the paint section they have paint for metal in mat black. Otherwise you could just want into a local hardware store and get something to paint the whole neg carrier.

http://www.micro-tools.de/english.htm
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

I would not paint paint over existing finish. It`s solvent is different from whatever you would put on it. Remove it all and repaint from scratch. Use a primer. I would pick a spray on epoxy from a hobby shop.

If you paint over the old paint, there is a possibilty of the original lifting off and making a mess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Matt blackboard paint is really good. i'ts a solvent paint so it sticks. My enlarger and parts of my field camera are covered in it!. Durable surface too ...available from all good DIY shops as they say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Γιώργο, praktiker is stocking the heat resistant black matte aluminium paint. Just got to the automotive parts section and look in the paints aisle. (On the bonus side, you can also use it to spray paint your motorbike exhaust -if you have one. And if you don't, it can be a good excuse to buy one )
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your help,
    I followed Aristoteli's advice and ordered a flat black marker from Germany. Hope it'll work, if it comes out good I'll let you know...
    Dimitri, I like bikes but hate Greek car, taxi and truck drivers...
    cheers
    George

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin