Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,960   Online: 760

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    You guys really use *red* safelights?? Red safelights make me feel ill and I've used yellow/brown for more than 25 years.

You really use red???

Graham.
    Phew I was worried I was the only one who didn't use red. Mine is a green/yellow bulb and just plugs in to the main light socket.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm.

Maybe I'm showing my age here...

The first time I went into a darkroom with a yellow safelight I thought there was something deeply wrong; I learned to print in 1970 at summer camp, and we had a single dark red bulb hanging from the ceiling for our safelight, even though we used graded paper only. When I took photography in high school four years later, we had a yellow safelight (I think it was an OC filter), and though the darkroom was much brighter and we were using Polycontrast paper, my muddy prints were somehow my fault, never related to safelight fogging (and at 14, I didn't know enough to even try to argue with the teacher).

When I get my darkroom darkened, it'll get LED safelights, if I can make them work from mains power, and they'll be red, red, red. To me, if it's not red, it ain't really a safelight (and no, I don't develop film by inspection).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    [...]The symptom - I found that as I moved from 8x10 prints up to 11x14 or larger (or increased size to crop an image,) I had to increase contrast to get bact to the original desired impact. I thought this was normal. It isn't. It is a symptom that you may be fighting an UN-safelight and/or enlarger light leaks. In seminars I have attended, this is the number 1 most common problem.

This is a HOOT! A while back, I contacted many pro B&W printing labs all over the country looking for one to make large Azo prints for me. One of them, in amoungst the comments that there's really no value in using "dead" papers or pyro developers mentioned that "of course, the larger the print you make, the lower the contrast gets".

At that point, I just felt like an ignorant stooge. I'd never been familiar with this tendancy.

Now, I know that at least in this particular case, I wasn't the ignorant stooge. (:
    [...]
    If you haven't tested for enlarger and safelight problems, I urge you to do so. Go to the Kodak web site and search for 'How Safe is Your Safelight?.' From the items returned by this search, click on the one titled 'K-4'. This will open a PDF file that will guide you through the process. It is a bit complicated and boring as all-get-out but it will smoke-out your unseen enemy like no other test. Post your responses after you do this. I am curious as to how many of you discover a problem.
    Cheers

Here's a direct link to the PDF.
    -KwM-

Huw

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I use LEDs, they are on my site huws.org.uk, and I can read a newspaper and they are safe (Kodak test) for at least 10 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by Lee L; 04-03-2005 at 04:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bad info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin