Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,800   Online: 855

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your own safelight

A safelight is basically just a dim bulb with a colored filter, right? So, is it really necessary to buy a specialized safelight, or is there a way to make a makeshift one of your own?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy some ruby lith. Put a small bulb into something like a soup can with the ruby lith at the open end. Test to make sure it's safe. Or search for LED safelights.

The 5x7 Premier safelight is pretty cheap. A replacement 5x7 filter isn't much less then the whole safelight sells for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As usual the answer is: it depends.....

The simplest safelight is as you describe and it will work. However, if you want brighter light in the darkroom then you need to get more hi-tech. Sodium vapour lamps like the Durst Duka 50 and LED based lights can give you a much brighter light as they emit on a much narrower spectrum than a simple glass filter.

For a DIY job, you can use high intensity LEDs - Red to be safe, but if you check your paper's response and LED datasheets you may be able to use a lighter colour such as amber. Having said that, Paterson safelights of the simple kind are readily available new or used in the usual places.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some possible answers are in this recent thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/13373-kodak-safelight-wattage.html
    among others. Do a search of APUG on safelight, there's a lot that's been covered.

Lee

Images
    I bought a 5x7 Premier for 27 bucks from Adorama they have safe bulbs from $5
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The little 7 watt red bulbs sold by freestyle work for me with black and white. They fit into any standard household lamp socket and cost less than 5 bucks.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first built a darkroom, I used a 7 watt red bulb (from the hardware store - where they are less expensive than when the same bulb is sold by a camera store).

Later, I built a safelight for my darkroom. I bought a 5" round filiter at a photo flea market, mounted a lamp base in a 2 lb coffee can (empty, of course), and attached the filter to the open end of the can using mirror clips that came from the hardware store. Unfortunately, there was a light leak around the filter, but that was quickly solved using black masking tape. Fabricated a hanger for it using a scap of metal that was left over after installation of a new furnace.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 7 watt bulbs themselves are colored red?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the red bulb at Freestyle:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=6007

Will this work in a regular socket?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would Christmas tree bulbs work? Not the tiny kind, but the larger, night-light style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin