Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,285   Posts: 1,681,156   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Metol and hydroquinone dry shelf life?

Hi everybody:

I'm printing tomorrow after a long absence, and will making a batch of Ansco 130 in the morning beforehand. I ordered fresh glycin but planned on using my existing Metol and Hydroquinone in the cabinet. However, now I'm suddenly questioning myself and wonder if I need to be safe and run to Freestyle before I go to the darkroom.

My metol I procured in September 2014. It's an off-white to tan color and I don't see any darker specks.
    My hydroquinone I procured in July 2013 and it looks the same - long white crystals.

Any input on the shelf life of these chemicals?

Jarin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarin Blaschke View Post
    Hi everybody:

I'm printing tomorrow after a long absence, and will making a batch of Ansco 130 in the morning beforehand. I ordered fresh glycin but planned on using my existing Metol and Hydroquinone in the cabinet. However, now I'm suddenly questioning myself and wonder if I need to be safe and run to Freestyle before I go to the darkroom.

My metol I procured in September 2014. It's an off-white to tan color and I don't see any darker specks.
    My hydroquinone I procured in July 2013 and it looks the same - long white crystals.

Any input on the shelf life of these chemicals?

Jarin
    I may be too optimistic but I never replace bulk chemicals with fresh until the existing stock is gone.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50+ years with no issues.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    50+ years with no issues.

Ian
    +1

I might add that they should be stored in glass containers (preferably brown glass) in a cool dark place.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the last time I bought Metol it was a 5 lb jug. There is no way I can burn through this quick. The stuff is ok as long as it's sealed.

Glycin...freeze it and tape around the cap. I have a bottle that I just used the last of it and it was over 5 years old.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian:

50 year-old Metal and hydroquinone, working fine?

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They work as if new, as does Ilford Phenidone from 1963.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If these two chemicals are exposed to light they will turn a light purplish-gray in color. Their activity is not affected.

The following developing agents have a limited life.

o Glycin, solid oxidizes rapidly when exposed to air.
    o p-aminophenol, either as the free base or the HCl salt
    o p-phenylenediamine, either as the free base or the HCl salt
    o Amidol
    o pyrogallol
    o ascorbic acid, solid oxidizes when exposed to air. Keep well sealed and away from light.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    If these two chemicals are exposed to light they will turn a light purplish-gray in color. Their activity is not affected.

The following developing agents have a limited life.

o Glycin, solid oxidizes rapidly when exposed to air.
    o p-aminophenol, either as the free base or the HCl salt
    o p-phenylenediamine, either as the free base or the HCl salt
    o Amidol
    o pyrogallol
    o ascorbic acid, solid oxidizes when exposed to air. Keep well sealed and away from light.
    so what would you say the shelf life of properly stored pyrogallol is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    so what would you say the shelf life of properly stored pyrogallol is?
    Unlike some of the other developing agents I personally have no information to give a figure. I consider it too toxic to keep around the house. But in a well sealed glass bottle I would say a few years. But certainly not 50. This takes into account the increased activity over hydroquinone and catechol. The solid also easily turns brown on exposure to air. Keep it well sealed, away from heat, light and moisture.

There are two forms of pyrogallol sold. One form consist of small chucks and the other a feathery powder. Avoid the powder form as it becomes airborne too easily making it more dangerous.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-23-2015 at 01:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin