Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,654   Posts: 1,623,650   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hass Intellifaucet - W O W

I visited a darkroom yesterday which had one of these. Holy crap. I remember seeing the ads in magazines and it always looked like a nifty thing, but I'd never seen one in action before. I hadn't ever given much thought to how it actually works before, but it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah, my buddy has one. they really simplify many things in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've had a model K250 installed for years.* It's one of the single most useful pieces of darkroom equipment I own.

My previous darkroom was in a desert climate where ice cube tempering was the norm. When I moved to a cooler climate I vowed never again. Instead of ambient 84F/29C degrees in summer I now have 67F/19C degrees or less. It's such a precision instrument that even at 67F/19C degrees it can successfully hold a 68F/20C degree output. Amazing.

However, for anyone considering the investment it's a good idea to figure out how many months each year your ambient is below 68F/20C. Or below whatever your own baseline processing temperature might be. The unit would not have been of much use if that threshold was only met for a few months out of each full year.

Ken

* There is also a much less expensive darkroom-specific model D250 for the more budget-oriented users.
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-28-2015 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added D250 link...
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are great. I happened into one a couple of years ago in responding to a CL ad for something else. All the buzzing and clicking of the stepper motors is a little disconcerting at first. But they work really well, and it really beats fiddling with a single-handle temp controller.
    Another big plus is that Hass is still in business and very responsive to email questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's too complicated up front for me even if I could afford one. You kind of have to put together a "water board" with filters and stuff. I ain't no plumber and I don't know anything about flow rates, bleeding, priming, pressure etc. Plus I'm so used to endlessly fiddling with the taps that I'd feel downright spoiled having one of these awesome things. I just thought I'd give the company a plug anyway. I sort of understand how the valve mechanism works, but it still blows my mind how steady this thing held the temperature. It just didn't budge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very interesting piece of technology, at a very uninteresting price (to me anyway). $1100 plus shipping will buy me a lot of film and paper. Using ice cubes out of the fridge and hot water out of my tap has worked just fine for me for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    ...but it still blows my mind how steady this thing held the temperature. It just didn't budge.
    Observing it in action, there seems to be an attenuation behavior programmed into the software. At least it looks that way to me watching it work.

If, say, a hot water tap is opened anywhere else in the house, thus causing a sudden drop in hot line pressure, the software will instantly compensate by intentionally pushing the output temperature over the set point by cutting the cold water flow, thus negating the unexpected cold water surge. It will then swing back and forth like a pendulum until settling back at that set point at a new reduced flow rate.

The net effect is that a larger volume of tempered water being fed by the unit never changes temperature. The unit itself "absorbed" the temperature anomaly completely. Pretty cool stuff...

I read somewhere once that Intellifaucets were installed on those old Kodachrome K-Lab processors, but I don't know if that's true.

[Edit: Yes, it is true. Kodak Publication No. TG2044-1 (04/06/1999) directly references procedures utilizing an Intellifaucet. (See pp. 4, 9, 37 and 38.) Note that the Intellifaucet has been on the market since 1987.]

There is also a much less expensive darkroom-specific model D250 for the more budget-oriented users.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-28-2015 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used an D250 for some years now, and it's a real time saver:

Trond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-03-28 17.55.59.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Very interesting piece of technology, at a very uninteresting price (to me anyway). $1100 plus shipping will buy me a lot of film and paper. Using ice cubes out of the fridge and hot water out of my tap has worked just fine for me for a long time.
    i know what you mean moms.
    if i had the $$ it would be a nice toy to own.
    i think i have thje broke cobbler's version of the same thing
    or used to .. maybe 20 years ago .. now i just use a faucet
    with hot and cold knobs and a thermometer .. it seems to work OK
    for the time being, that said, i am always in awe of nice darkroom set-ups ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin