Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,446   Posts: 1,643,446   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beseler 8177 Timer Help

I just purchased a used Beseler 8177 Audible/Repeating Enlarging Timer. Either the thing is broken or I don't know how it works (possible since I don't have a manual for it).

The left dial is marked 1-10. The right dial is marked in tenths. There is a switch beneath these for 1x and 10x.

Logically, if I select 1x and turn the left dial to 2 I will get two chirps. However, if I select 10x and move the dial to 2, it doesn't seem to stop chirping (tested past two minutes).

I've tried selecting 10x, 0, .4 and it just keeps going (I assumed this would have been 4 or perhaps 40 seconds).

Can someone explain how this works so I can test it properly?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the same timer I use. The 10x will multiply whatever your combination of dial settings is by 10. So for your "10x, 0, .4" should equal 4 seconds. Honestly though, never used the 10x option. I do 3 (3, 0) second intervals for my initial test print, then adjust to compensate for dry down in my final prints (usually 2, .8).
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for elaborating.

So you are doing three 3 second exposures (3,0)? Also, would 10x, 3, 0 equate to 30 seconds? If so, it is broken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do 3 second intervals. For example, one of the prints I worked on today needed a 15 second base exposure so I did five 3-second exposures. I didn't have anyone to teach me, so I learned from watching the old Fred Picker videos and that was what he did. Yes, 10x, 3, 0 should equal 30 seconds.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you, sir!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You get it working?
    flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, it's busted. I wasn't sure how it operated but your explanation confirmed that I had it right and it was broken. I'm returning to seller. There's virtually no documentation on it so I really appreciate your assistance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I remember the insides rightly the internals are Resistors and Capacitors which are switched in controlling the rates of 3 timing circuits. Two are in 556 dual timer chip and one is a 555 chip. Last one repaired had a bad section in the 556 chip.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    I do 3 second intervals. For example, one of the prints I worked on today needed a 15 second base exposure so I did five 3-second exposures. I didn't have anyone to teach me, so I learned from watching the old Fred Picker videos and that was what he did. Yes, 10x, 3, 0 should equal 30 seconds.
    Sorry to change the original post, but pressing the timer 5 times to reach a 15 second exposure time is not ideal. While exposing you want to quietly look at your projected negative, you want to think about possibilities how to improve . . . exposing is one of the purest moments in the life of the printer, with all respect you do not want to be busy pushing the button all the time . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    If I remember the insides rightly the internals are Resistors and Capacitors which are switched in controlling the rates of 3 timing circuits. Two are in 556 dual timer chip and one is a 555 chip. Last one repaired had a bad section in the 556 chip.
    Would I be able to test these with a multimeter? I assume I would be testing for continuity in each of the three circuits to see which one needs replacing. I've never soldered a board but I'm not averse to trying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin