Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,768   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

How to build a sink in a corner ?

Hi !
    The contractor I hired to do the masonry work has just finished my "next new darkroom" !
    So now I face the equipment construction problem (and have all the stuff I own fit inside...)
    The major problem is that the only place I have for the sink is a corner of the room.... one side is 1m90 cm (5 3/4 feet) and the other is 1m 70 cm (5 feet) long. but, if I've a good idea on how to build a rectangular plywood sink, I suspect my case to be a builder's nightmare....
    So any help will be greatly appreciated ! Plans, pictures, construction details, all will help !
    TIA !
    P.S. I own a set of books on the subject :
    The Kodak "building a home darkroom", "The darkroom handbook" by Dennis Curtin and Joe DeMaio, and "build your own home darkroom" by Lista Duren and Will McDonald.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can rough in the opening and counter with 2x4's and then do a plywood liner that is removable. There has been some mention of using truck bed liner material sprayed in place once the sink is made. Use plenty of glue and drywall screws for the plywood. This should hold up pretty well. It will be haevy, but once the sink is made, it can be removed from the 2x4 framework, taken to a truck fitter, sprayed and returned to the darkroom. Don't forget to cut in the drain. Good luck. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    i used a wooden sink for years .. build the legs out of 4x4x8's using 2x4 as described by tim as a support system. the truck liner is a good idea, but the best sinks i used were made of marine plywood - caulked before screwing together and then a thick skin of fiberglass resin. be prepared to repair it every few years. the chemistry will eat through the resin after a while, but it isn't hard - just scrape it down, use a bit of fiberglass cloth and resin again. make sure you build it on a slope ( so it will drain ) a windshield wiper works wonders as a cheep squeegee to get all the water out & down the drain.

good lucK!

-john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you saying your room size is 5 and 3/4 by 5 feet? Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was at a plumber supply house and saw a shower floor. That comes in 5 and 6 feet and smaller deminsions. The cost was 180. and lower. I thought that would make a great b\darkroom sink. It has a drain on the bottom, ridges to lift any trays off the bottom. It has to be strong because its meant to be a shower floor. It's a plastic.
    My Next darkroom thats the route I'm going.
    Otherwise, find a carpenter to build your sink. I did that for a 4 footer I needed. My carpenter built it with pressure wood and rust resistant screws. Afterwards, I epoxy it and then three coats of marine paint.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Are you saying your room size is 5 and 3/4 by 5 feet? Dan
    No, not exactly.
    The corner on which I plan to put the sink is.
    The darkroom is 2m78 by 3m78 (I prefer you make the conversion yourself, because I'm lost at inches, feet, and so on) But the walls are holed by doors, access, so the only place useable for the sink is the abovementioned corner.
    I'm currently playing with a set of little papers enlargers, fridge, tables and so on on a scale paper plan to figure out the way to install all my stuff inside.
    Maybe my wife us true when she says that I've got too much gear !
    Thanks for the help !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may have already done this, but I'd start at the other end. That is, allow where the sink drain can tie into existing plumbing to determine the sink's location. Hot and cold water lines can be run almost anywhere. Once the drain location is determined, the rest of the layout can be planned.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You may have already done this, but I'd start at the other end. That is, allow where the sink drain can tie into existing plumbing to determine the sink's location. Hot and cold water lines can be run almost anywhere. Once the drain location is determined, the rest of the layout can be planned.
    Well my constraint are strong, here.
    There are 3 doors I must keep clear and the drain is on another part of the house, one meter and a half above ground level of my darkroom, so I will be forced to use a pump for lifting the sewer.
    The enlarger can only go at one place (ceilling height just sufficient to install it) making the wall unavaillable for the sink.
    So I only have a corner to put the sink, and I'll be forced to route sewer pipe a little bit. (but as it is a forced sewer, pipie diameter is low, so this will ease installation...)
    I've also a ventilation problem, which will involve making ahole for the vent in a concrete wall (highly resistent wall because it is part of the basement) So I've got some work to do !
    Add to this that my current darkroom is the spare toilet/bedroom couple, and my wife asks I free them ASAP for my mother in laws.....
    It will be fine when finished, because being in the basement, I won't ear the other people living in the house, so I will be able to hide in it....
    Thanks for responding !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Basement, pumped drain, etc.) Ah, I understand now.

As to that vent, depending on what's above the basement, it might actually be possible to creat a fresh-air inlet (pre-tempered house air, helped by a inlet fan) and an exhaust duct through opposing parts of the ceiling. I think I'd explore that fully before trying to pierce a sub-grade concrete wall. For example, you might be able to run the exhaust duct up through the back of a first-floor cupboard to an outside drier-type vent. Usually, basements are intended to be pretty much water-tight from the outside. Piercing the wall below grade could easily create all sorts of other problems.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

My sink is a corner sink. In the diagram the left side wavy lines are where I stack 5-20x24 trays.

It is simply a framed in stand made out of 2x4s with a open box on top as the sink about 8 inches deep. The interior is painted with outdoor house paint.

When printing 20x24s I can hold dev, stop, fix 1, fix2, permawash in the stack area. In the far corner is the drain as well as where I have a 20x24 tray placed upon a piece of plexi about 3 inches high where I have a syphon wash.

On the right side back against the wall is a 20x24 archival washer.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sink2.bmp  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin