Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,371   Online: 868

Shooter
    35mm

Burned out bulb??

Well, tonight was to be my first night ever making darkroom prints. I read up on what I need to do and waited for my paper and chemicals to show up today.

They arrived, I made two test strips, I was just getting the hang of things and went to try a third test strip. I put the paper down, masked most of it, pushed the button on the timer and..... Nothing. Suddenly, no light. I checked to make sure the head wasn't set to the 'white light' setting the locks it from turning on. Nope. I checked the timer and all connections and dials and levers. Nothing I did could make the lamp turn back on.

It was odd it didn't just burn out in the middle of an exposure but was working fine and suddenly decided to not turn on when I attempted the next exposure. Anyway, I then pulled the bulb out but it doesn't LOOK burned out. The filament looks fine. How would you recommend I test the bulb to be sure it's burned out before I order a replacement?

Is there ANYTHING else that I should check on the enlarger? Beseler 23CII with the Dual Dichro color head. Is there a fuse or anything that may have blown?

Shooter
    35mm
    Crud!! And some sites are saying I need a 200W, 24V "EJL" bulb while others say the Dual Dichro heads use a 250W, 82V "ESJ" bulb. One is apparently for the "old style" dichro heads and one is for the "new style" heads.... yeah. Mine is a 24V but maybe that's why it burned out after a few minutes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no idea with that particular bulb but most bulbs pop when turned on as that's when they be heating up and expanding.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I got my enlarger (used) on ebay the seller said the light was hardly used. I went ahead and got a replacement anyway because after setting up for a session I would hate to have to stop in the middle. Fortunately the original is still working but just in case I have the replacement. I would strongly recommend everyone get a replacement bulb.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't that typical!

Any kind of continuity tester (ohms range on a multimeter for example) will tell you if the bulb is blown. While you have your multimeter out, check the DC voltage at the lamp socket with the enlarger switched on - this may show that no voltage is making it to the lamp in which case you need to find out why... If no voltage, check fuses in the plug and anywhere else there may be any such as on the power supply unit or the enlarger itself. If there is voltage, is it 24V or 82V?

Lamps usually blow either when switched on or off as there is a current surge at those times; plus thermal shock, especially when switching on of course. They also seem to have a habit of blowing when they have been moved about.

The voltage or model number is usually marked on the lamp. I would expect a 24V lamp to have died immediately if it was fed 82V. Buy at least two new ones - even if the current one is OK... Do not touch the bulb part with your fingers - it will blow much sooner because of the grease creating hot-spots.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might check out a place called gray supply company for bulbs.
    they are in east chicago, indiana ( topbulb.com ). they have all sorts of bulbs and they are the lowest prices around. i have bought everything from replacements to my omni + tota lights to floodlamps and bulbs niadinium bulbs for color corrected floods from them. i think the tota-replacements were something like 10$ vs, 20 or 30$. their service is really good too.

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of the above. You didn't mention what type of enlarger timer you are using; some
    timers have at least one fuse that you should check.
    DanG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin