Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,388   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Prints dry too dark after drying

In my 6 x 8 foot darkroom, on the table next to my three chemical trays and my water tray for holding prints prior to washing them, I have a light fixture sitting on it which has an exposed halogen bulb. It is very bright and I think it is misleading me into thinking my prints are satisfactory in brightness because they darken too much after drying. What do you experienced darkroom users use to view and analyze your prints successfully for brightness adequacy in relation to the pending dry-down darken factor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    In my 6 x 8 foot darkroom, on the table next to my three chemical trays and my water tray for holding prints prior to washing them, I have a light fixture sitting on it which has an exposed halogen bulb. It is very bright and I think it is misleading me into thinking my prints are satisfactory in brightness because they darken too much after drying. What do you experienced darkroom users use to view and analyze your prints successfully for brightness adequacy in relation to the pending dry-down darken factor?
    Here's an article regarding that very subject. Enjoy!:

Les McLean dry down factor

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ansel Adams had a small microwave in his darkroom and dried the test strips

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Way Beyond Monochrome the authors suggest that a light intensity of between EV 7 and EV 11 as measured by a light meter is the ideal viewing light intensity. Wandering around the house with a print in one hand and a meter in the other suggests to me that this is about right... Sounds like your viewing light is too bright as you suspect.

Bob.

In my experience, printing large prints, then selenium toning them that I get variations anyway after drydown. Backing of, say 5% will still make some too dark and some perfect.

I just print a few and later pick the one I like the best.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carbromac
    Ansel Adams had a small microwave in his darkroom and dried the test strips
    I just watched a movie with Ansel Adams in it, and during a demonstration he was giving he actualy used the microwave in his kitchen. I remeber because he made some joke that his wife used to get mad, but now shes used to it.
    Carpe Lumen -- seize the Light

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    tbm, you've nailed it - your inspection light is too bright. Go for a lower wattage, or move the existing bulb further away from the inspection area. I would also remove the prints from the tray and squeegee them off before inspecting them, as a wet print will look more contrasty. Personally, I have a 15 watt and a 25 watt light over my inspection board. Print comes out of the fix and goes onto the board. 15 watt light goes on, and then once my eyes have adjusted, the 25 watt goes on. If I print just so I can see detail in the highlights, I know the full detail will be visible once the print dries.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    Switch to Polymax. I haven't given dry-down a thought since I started using it. I squeegee off the surface water and if it looks good, it's done. If I go back to using another paper now that Polymax SW is discontinued, I'm sure to waste a lot of paper. I'll have to reread Les's dry-down article
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eheldreth
    I just watched a movie with Ansel Adams in it, and during a demonstration he was giving he actualy used the microwave in his kitchen. I remeber because he made some joke that his wife used to get mad, but now shes used to it.
    Ansel did quite a few things that made Virginia angry, and I doubt she really got used to them.

Shooter
    35mm

Inline bulb dimmer

I use an inline bulb dimmer. Approximately $10.00 from Home Depot. I have taken reading from the area prints would be dispalyed and set my print examination light to give a similar reading. I have a mark on the dimmer that I can set it to to get this light value. I use the light first at full power for print examination of physical flaws such as dust before turning down to the proper level. This is a large sized help. To be sure the print is correct as far as density is concerned one needs to be looking at a dried and toned print if the paper being used has more than a slight tendency to dry down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin