Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,537   Online: 1090

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Strange 8x10 Jobo Tank problem

I believe I have some sort of intermittent Jobo 3005 tank/8x10 film developing problem: I develop tmax 400 in abc+pyro/Rollo pyro. Ocassionaly I will find a faint line that will run at the bottom of the negative and it is approx. 3/16 of an inch into the image and runs parallel with the bottom of the negative. I am thinking it is a Jobo issue, but not sure. I will likely start to tray process negs instead if I can't nail down what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

-Ken

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is the line on all negs processed? Is it a white line or a dark line? Is the line always at the notch end of the film? Is this a new problem?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ken

are you using distilled water to mix your chemistrys? I had problems with edge lines in the past when running pyro without distilled water. These lines showed up as plus density on the print and were in the direction of the tanks rotation.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ken,

On the negatives with this line, is the line where the film had stuck up out of the hole?

I had this problem with my first attempts at using pyro developers. I didn't realize it until I noticed that my 8x20 negatives had the marking of the inside of the tank, then I looked closer at the 8x10 negatives and found they did too.

I will say that I have not had this experience with Pyrocat-HD, only with ABC and PMK which as I found out, were not designed for continuous agitation.

Since trying Pyrocat-HD, I've had negatives that move inside the tubes of the tank and never had a development mark.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is the opposite of the notched end. It is a slight density buildup-line. I hadn't noticed it until I started using a Jobo.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Ken

are you using distilled water to mix your chemistrys? I had problems with edge lines in the past when running pyro without distilled water. These lines showed up as plus density on the print and were in the direction of the tanks rotation.
    I have not been using distilled water.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Losse
    Ken,

On the negatives with this line, is the line where the film had stuck up out of the hole?

I had this problem with my first attempts at using pyro developers. I didn't realize it until I noticed that my 8x20 negatives had the marking of the inside of the tank, then I looked closer at the 8x10 negatives and found they did too.

I will say that I have not had this experience with Pyrocat-HD, only with ABC and PMK which as I found out, were not designed for continuous agitation.

Since trying Pyrocat-HD, I've had negatives that move inside the tubes of the tank and never had a development mark.

I suspect that you are right.... I have developed some negs in Pyrocat HD and haven't noticed any problems. I do have the problem of negs creeping up out of the tube, but haven't noticed any problems with that. I don't know if I am crazy or not, but I seem to get easier to print negs with the TMY-ABC+ combo, but may need to switch to pyrocat hd.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeyersphoto
    It is the opposite of the notched end. It is a slight density buildup-line. I hadn't noticed it until I started using a Jobo.
    I have seen slight density build-up lines caused by reflection in the camera. An easy way to determine this is to do everything the same but load the notched end of the sheet into the drum first, obviously making sure the emulsion is still facing inward. If your line stays oriented opposite the notched end, it is a reflected light issue. If it moves, it is a development issue.

What rotating speed and development temp are you using?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ken
    If the line is in the parallel with the rotation , I strongly urge you to use distilled water. It may be a laminar flow pattern that shows itself close to any edges of the film approximatel 1/16-3/16 into the edge of the negative. when you print this it will show up as a faint white line. This problem will not show up on complicated background, but will rear its ugly head in skys or nuetral backgrounds.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin