Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,707   Online: 1249

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornello Pederzoli II
    It's just another photographic fad....
    That is the most incredibly inaccurate statement that I have heard in the past ten years, at least...perhaps if you would avail yourself of what is accomplished through some of the alternative processes, you could see that this is a result that is accomplished in hand coating paper. Considering that platinum, paladium, and carbon all are old processes, I fail to see how you could make such an inaccurate statement.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't be bullied into doing it "straight". If you feel like making a neg carrier out of black paper and ric rac scissors, do it. You're doing this for YOU, not everyone else.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I got fed up with my neg inserts being a few millimeters smaller than the actual negative, thus cropping off sometimes a valueable part of the image - not exactly full frame. Now I use a glass neg insert so I can print full frame, but now i'm fed up with dust specks - no matter how careful I am, I always end up with a few.

I'm currently filing down a 6x6 insert - it took me weeks on and off just to do one side.... now for the other side... then there's the 6x7 carrier... I'm losing the will to live...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    This has a familier ring to it....
    Naah...it couldn't be could it? Reincarnation perhaps!!!! Naaah God is kinder then that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    This has a familier ring to it....
    Indeed, and as usual with Mr Scarpatti, he's stating an opinion as if it was fact....

It's not a "fad", it's a statement: "this is the whole frame: nothing cropped". I don't do it, not least because I crop the hell out of everything! but that does not make it a bad thing to do...

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The other thing that you could do is to make a print overlay to print in the edge after your base exposure. The overlay would be make full print size and could be made from a number of materials...lithographic film being one of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just wish that Scarpatti or Ornello Pederzoli II or whatever the hell his previous or next incarnation is and will be would develop a little creativity and get the hell away from the Italian influence...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornello Pederzoli II
    Why do you think you have to do it that way? In fact, doing this causes a deterioration of image contrast because of the additional light streaming around the negative. So, I would advise against it.
    It all depends on the density of the negative. Yes, white parts against the black border will easily show signs of flare. Reflections from the easel will show up more easily too.

Many enlargers have no carrier to file, but use glass carriers and masking blades. Both of mine are of this type. I have printed both with and without black borders, and continue to do so. But it all depend on the negative if I'll even consider doing it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    wow-- i've had such different experiences when it comes to photography forums. the last one i posted on (i won't name names) one person replied and that was that. here i even got drama back with my post

thank you for all your suggestions. i've never been one to go with the fad or the old-fashioned...faux pas more like...eh i'll try anything once. i just don't like having things that look like everyone else. . . i suppose that's why people do this really, because, no border is ever really the same, especially with all the different ways you've suggested.

how have you become so educated? class or self taught? just curious as to how i should go about becoming. . . something...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by masochistic_me
    how have you become so educated? class or self taught? just curious as to how i should go about becoming. . . something...
    So ... opinionated like the rest of us?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin