Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,700   Online: 836

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    So ... opinionated like the rest of us?
    yes, but knowledgeably opinionated? (is that even a word)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    I got fed up with my neg inserts being a few millimeters smaller than the actual negative, thus cropping off sometimes a valueable part of the image - not exactly full frame. Now I use a glass neg insert so I can print full frame, but now i'm fed up with dust specks - no matter how careful I am, I always end up with a few.

I'm currently filing down a 6x6 insert - it took me weeks on and off just to do one side.... now for the other side... then there's the 6x7 carrier... I'm losing the will to live...
    and here i thought my using sand paper against cardboard was suicide i had to start on something small i suppose. perhaps its time to search the used camera stores around here maybe they'll sell me one that's already been filed down. funny that people think no one would want to buy them, and yet, people work so hard to get them that way. supply and demand baby

Shooter
    35mm
    interestingly enough-- in my time posting here (today) and e-mailing high school photography teachers in my area-- i found out that the method the high school students are using that i've taken a liking to is simply due to ... well, this is what the dept chair of the fine arts dept at a high school near me said, "We have several Bessler enlargers with different negative carriers. A few carriers came in with a larger opening than the negative. We size the image down a bit (smaller that a 5x7) so the back edge shows up on the print. We actual started doing this so the kids didn't have to burn in the sky.
    It has become quite popular and handy."

so, how handy is that. its great to be learning (again)
    now just to find out how to get my hands on such neg carrier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    considering 'they' go to great lengths to get the right 'wet darkroom photo like light overspill' frame to add in PS, it's currently a 'fad' IMO. See lots of them online, not to many in galleries (that I go to).

Sometimes, I do like printing 35mm images at about 6x9" on 10x8 paper and in my enlarger and it's neg carrier, this leaves bits of dark borders, but not right around the print. Looks Ok IMO, however, I'm not about to file it as I predominately use an easel. For 645 and 4x5 negs, I have always used an easel.

I interpret hand coated paper differently to 35mm edge printing. The 35mm 'this is how I saw it in the viewfider' aspect amuses me in one way... not many people have 100% viewfinders

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    That is the most incredibly inaccurate statement that I have heard in the past ten years, at least...perhaps if you would avail yourself of what is accomplished through some of the alternative processes, you could see that this is a result that is accomplished in hand coating paper. Considering that platinum, paladium, and carbon all are old processes, I fail to see how you could make such an inaccurate statement.
    Excuse me? Filing out the carrier has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    I got fed up with my neg inserts being a few millimeters smaller than the actual negative, thus cropping off sometimes a valueable part of the image - not exactly full frame. Now I use a glass neg insert so I can print full frame, but now i'm fed up with dust specks - no matter how careful I am, I always end up with a few.

I'm currently filing down a 6x6 insert - it took me weeks on and off just to do one side.... now for the other side... then there's the 6x7 carrier... I'm losing the will to live...
    The neg inserts are supposed to crop in a litlle. This is done to optimize your print quality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Don't be bullied into doing it "straight". If you feel like making a neg carrier out of black paper and ric rac scissors, do it. You're doing this for YOU, not everyone else.
    Don't be 'bullied' into following fads, by people who do not understand the impact of filing out their negative carriers on their prints.....

Who cares if 99% of the people on the planet like rough edges? There is a reason the enlarger manufacturers make the negative carriers crop into the negative a little. It is not to frustrate self-appointed 'artists' who want to make rough edges. It's to hold the negative as flat as possible and to minimize flare.

Believe it or not, the people who design equipment actually know what they're doing....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if this helps at all, but like others have stated, I made a few negative carriers out of mat board. Some have "extremely" rough edges, some are cut about as straight as I can. This carrier I typically use for my toy camera work (the opening is not square or "straight", the print is from this neg carrier).
    -Grant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neg_carrier_top.jpg   neg_carrier_bot.jpg   portfolio10.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could also make a masque out of ruby lith a little larger than your image. You can either do this at the neg. side or on the paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure if this idea already occured to you or if it's been mentioned already, but you could probably get a negative carrier for very little money on ebay, especially a beat up one you could test and file out.

For what it's worth, I've found that I print every negative using the filed down carrier (and no, contrary to what one poster says I see no degradation in image quality); I haven't used the non-filed negative carrier once. If I were in your shoes, and only had one negative carrier, I'd file it, no question. If you don't want the black border (or reflections on occasion, which give some very interesting borders with color prints) then just trim off the edges using the easel or a paper-trimmer.

Unfortunately I have no brilliant ideas for you, but it seems like many other members have offered great advice!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin