Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,153   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fil

Shooter
    Multi Format

What are your enlarger equipment source secrets?

Hi all,

OK, I just had to post this after reading yet another story of "Picked up a mint enlarger for nothing from Lab X which was dumping their gear". How do you guys find out about these deals?

Can anyone share their tips for uncovering these treasures? Yes, I know that I'm probably asking to see the magic trick revealed, but my budget for photography has essentially been zeroed out except for consumables and I'm lacking in the kit department when it comes to enlarging. I have a partially complete DII but I'm missing a few things and if there's a complete enlarger hanging about somewhere which I could nab for the haul-away...

I'm probably looking more for "call XXX businesses and see if they are going digital" type of advice, but let's see what the community says.

cheers
    fil
    ----
    good light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fil
    I have a partially complete DII but I'm missing a few things...
    I'm clearing out my Omega stuff. PM me and tell me what you're looking for.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, I just had to post this after reading yet another story of "Picked up a mint enlarger for nothing from Lab X which was dumping their gear". How do you guys find out about these deals?

Can anyone share their tips for uncovering these treasures?
    I share your pain ...

In addition to the 4x5 enlarger, I'm still looking for the garage sale Leica. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi all,

fil,

1) I think you just found one way

2) In MA, I'd try the Want Advertiser. I've seen photo and darkroom things there for good prices, but it's just pot luck what will be available.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've gotten all sorts of odds and ends off eBay. Personally
    I think eBay is the Best thing to happen to old fashioned
    photography since Hypo. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fil,

Harvard Camera in Harvard, MA (not the University) went digital, and they are selling an enlarger. I picked up a nice easel from them. You might just wander in, and check it out, see if they have any more equipment for sale. It's been a couple of months since I've been there, but you might give them a call.

Good luck,
    Suzanne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Craigslist (www.craigslist.com). Search for "darkroom" under "for sale" in the city nearest you.

-chuck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Do Nor'Easters have PU trucks?
    They all seem to be luxury SUVs around here and we wouldn't want to scratch the leather would we:rolleyes:.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I second "craigslist.org"...I just got a clean Beseler 45 MCRX with 2 lenses from a person who was moving for a good price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I pestered a guy at work once every few months for a couple of years about the 4x5 enlarger sitting in the corner collecting dust. I was prepared to pay for it however it was eventually easier and cheaper for him to have it struck off the asset list and given away than to sell it. It's still cost money for lensboards, lenses, carriers etc. Don't underestimate the space taken up by some of the bigger enlargers - for corporate people floor area can be expensive.

I also had a word in at the local lab however that one didn't come through. Basically it's a matter of being patient, putting out enough 'feelers' to get a response and being in the right place at the right time. I haven't had much luck with ebay but that's probably more due to my geographical location than anything.

Roger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin