Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scale

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Scale

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a scale to measure out different powder chems and what not. I would liek one that goes up to at leat 500 grams. What is a good scale?

I am cluless on the matter and really do not know where to start to look. Also do not want to pay $500 either.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever would you be weighing that a 500 gram capacity
    is called for? Dan

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Whatever would you be weighing that a 500 gram capacity
    is called for? Dan

5 gallons of stock dektol. So I need at leat 500 grams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you just want to divide powders (something which one shouldn't do with negative-developers, where reliability and accuracy is paramount but with dektol it should work ok) you can do this by volume and measure it in a graduated beaker. Good enough for this purpose.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    It is more than just Dektol. So I need a good scale and fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    If you just want to divide powders (something which one shouldn't do with negative-developers, where reliability and accuracy is paramount but with dektol it should work ok) you can do this by volume and measure it in a graduated beaker. Good enough for this purpose.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchased a Mettler P1200 top-loading analytical balance off of ebay for $40 shipped.
    It's accurate down to 10mg although you can detect a change in weight down to 1mg.
    Cost around $2200 in 1977. I like mine, it's a nice piece of equipment, might be too much for normal darkroom mixing.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a great deal less than $2200 (adjusted for almost 30 years of inflation, that'd be well over $5000 now), you can get a triple-beam reloading scale designed for weighing to a preset value, adjustable zero for tare (for the filter paper you use to keep the chemicals off the pan, for instance), accurate to a tenth of a grain, which is about 0.6 mg, and with modular hang weights capable of weighing up to at least 450 grams, possibly as much as a kilogram. Last time I checked, these top-end reloading scales went for around $300 (this was several years ago). For routine darkroom use, the most basic reloading scale (like the one I have) is probably just fine -- single beam, adjustable zero, weighs in tenths of a grain, but maximum weight is around 100 g; these sell for around $50 (mine cost me about $20, but that was 20-some years ago). Look for Speer, Hornady, Lee, or RCBS.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw this Toyo and thought it might be good for small scale stuff, pardon the pun. You'd have to weigh twice for anything more than 250g but the price sure is right. Check out the site; They have others that might suit you perfectly. Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a scale reading up to 500g you could look at electronic kitchen scales. These are typically accurate to 2 or 3 grams. You may also want a smaller, more accurate scale for measuring to an accuracy of 0.1 g and up to around 100g maximum weight. Both these types can be bought for surprisingly few beer tokens on eBay, or do a google to find retailers. As suggested above, if you want a high-end chemical balance, you will pay through the nose for it, but a low cost scale will do the job just as well in a non-commercial environment (but get a 10g reference weight for it at the same time to check it does not drift over time).

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    check out http://www.oldwillknott.com. They have a ton of scales at all different prices. All they sell is scales, so the most likely have what you want.
    Dean Tomasula
    The Place for Pix
    Stock and Fine Art Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin