Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,364   Online: 1221

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hewes reels are great. I recently bought some Kalt "High Grade" reels from B&H that are an economical alternative. They're a little more costly than the pre-bent off brands but they are true, straight and well made.

It used to be the mark of a real photographer to be able to load a steel reel that was twisted into a pretzel shape and still never lose a frame. Thank God those days are gone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, how is that different from wet SS reels and 120 roll film....

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    The hell there isn't: wet plastic reels and 120 roll film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    Thom. Those damned easy load plastic reels are impossible to load when they are wet. At least that has been my experience. The stainless ones load up easy because they do not rely on a ratchet motion to load the film, and the film does not slide along the runners. The film binds bad in a plastic reel as the emulsion gets wet and sticks to the plastic
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Would you guys quit whining already?? I started in photography 25 years ago with a real camera (4x5), and sheet film. No friggin' holders to get frustrated over, just a lovely 15 minutes in absolute darkness sifting those SuperXX sheets through my fingers in the slippery soup. What a bunch of wimps!
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    Would you guys quit whining already?? I started in photography 25 years ago with a real camera (4x5), and sheet film. No friggin' holders to get frustrated over, just a lovely 15 minutes in absolute darkness sifting those SuperXX sheets through my fingers in the slippery soup. What a bunch of wimps!
    You mean you never got to experience the Yankee sheet film slosh tank? Shame
    Also, back in the 70's, Honeywell-Nikor used to make a SS daylight reel and tank for 4x5 sheet film. :o An back in the 30's, Kodak made a bakelite reel(?) and tank for daylight developing of 4x5(even came with an "easy Loader" device):rolleyes:

Shame you missed out on all that historical frustration

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re: Aprons
    I used them a little in the 70s and 80s, but got back to them when I had to develop 70mm film in college.Made my own using corrugated plastic cut to fit the tank.
    IIRC the trick was to have slack between aprons and film and to agitate (shake) vigorously to prevent them from sticking.

They were great for developing film in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    Then I envy you. You must've had a magic touch. I could never get the film to track down the middle. Finally had to switch the SS. AH yes, memories of the 1959-60's middle school.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hazy like purple hazy?

Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Stoned? Me? Although I must admit that memory of some parts of the '60s seems a little hazy.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin