Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,720   Online: 826

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Got darn film reels!

heres my rant:

So my whole life i've used metal reels in loading film. When I first started of course i would stick a few frames together (hey it happens the first time you start) Well for a while i was having the film developed at my work and now that i've finally got my darkroom working i've started heavily developing my own stuff (especally since i've experimented with different developers) Well with my own tank and reel i've been having a hell of a time getting the film on the reel. I figured i was just rusty, but i didn't get the hang of it and its really been ticking me off. I explored past forums and someone mentioned cheep and slightly bent reels can make it more difficult. So i borrowed a hewes (old heavy metal) from work and bam first time, no difficulty at ALL.

man i'm so releaved... it was the reel not i.

i'm done just needed to vent haha.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Understandable. Nothing much worse than thinking your doing something wrong when it's actually the tools with the problem. It's such a relief when you discover it really isn't you. (Usually it is me, but I like to blame my tools anyway ).
    Personally I use the cheap plastic, self feeding, ratchet style spools (got them as a Christmas present). Have used the ss spools a couple times. They do take a little practice having lost a couple frames from poor loading technics myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel your pain. There is NOTHING worse than a bent SS reel (well, almost nothing). I prefer to use SS for 120 film, but for 35mm, I use plastic Paterson reels.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    I feel your pain. There is NOTHING worse than a bent SS reel (well, almost nothing).
    The hell there isn't: wet plastic reels and 120 roll film.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Obviously none of you have ever loaded one of those old Kodak tanks with the plastic lasagna aprons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Good point... Plastic reels and hair dryers - perfect together!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    Obviously none of you have ever loaded one of those old Kodak tanks with the plastic lasagna aprons.
    I haven't touched one of those since 1972 - and that was when I was throwing it into the trash!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net

Images
    You are quite right garryl. Those things sucked.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The aprons were AWESOME, easy to load and to process.
    I never had a kodak tank to go with them, but I had a small tin can, later a plastic can I painted black, where the 35mm aprons fit perfectly.

Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i used them once in high school for developing 120.... i didn't much care for them, they were easy to use (i thought) but i felt that i was cheating haha so i went to the metal reels.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin