Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,411   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    There is no three phase service supplied for residential service.
    You are right for a normal house, but I have seen alot of large wood working tools that need three pase power. Some people do install them in their home shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Hi John
    I will let Peter Illidge my tech guy here answer this one,
    Peter,
    How the heck are you? I hope all is well.

Donald, Bob, Larry, David, Mike and Matt;
    Thanks a bunch. I have a time/life wiring book and am considering having an electricion do the final hook-up. Well it is good to see after last week, I'm not on everyones ignore list and that the quality of APUG is still here in spades.

Thank You,

john (aka mr "I can fix Th--[SIZE=3]z[/SIZE][SIZE=4]z[/SIZE][SIZE=5]z[/SIZE][SIZE=6]a[/SIZE][SIZE=7]a[/SIZE][SIZE=6]a[/SIZE][SIZE=5]a[/SIZE][SIZE=4]a[/SIZE]a[SIZE=5]p[/SIZE][SIZE=6]p[/SIZE][SIZE=7]p[/SIZE]--t" callow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Install the breaker as Donald has suggested. Use #12 wire for 20 amps. It can be assorted colors, but typically a black, red, white and ground are used. The black and red are hot, white is the return and solid copper is the ground.

When you punch out the KO in the bottom or top of the panel, you will need a romex connector or a conduit connector. No wire can pass through an opening without a protective coupling (same at the outlet box). If the panel has all holes used, rent or buy a KO tool. It is a sleeve which pulls a hardened plug into a hardened collar after drilling a pilot hole.

Buy a couple of feet more wire than you need. Leave enough slack to move things around. If outside, use UV protected wire, but conduit is better. If inside, plain old Romex is fine. Use clamps or staples to support the run.

P.S. Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. I have never played one on T.V. You should have a licensed electrician do the installation and have a building permit to run the circuit or resale may become a problem at a later date.

P.P.S. It is better to seek gorgiveness than permission.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, this sonds the same as installing a 220v stove or dryer outlet. The double pole breaker and the wiring should be the same but you may need to change the receptacle to fit your needs. You might find something in this site http://www.electrical-online.com/how...HowToIntro.htm
    I had to check it recently to refresh my memory on installing 2 way switches.

Edit - sorry I just checked this link and there is only 110V outlets mentioned

Images
    In my quick read, this looks like good advice all the way. The only thing I might add is that 220V services are dedicated -- one breaker, one load, one outlet. Everything sized properly all the way. If this thing is to be plugged into the service, rather than hard-wired, you need to match the plug/outlet to the load. Unlike most plugs in your house, 220V plugs come in amperages that match the load. You can't plug a 30A dryer into a 20A or 40A 220 service. This give one more layer of safety and for 220V, you need it all.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Callow, Make sure your will is up to date. All the camera goodies go to Tonopah. If you have a 220V window AC unit anywhere in the neighborhood of your processor you could purchase the correct 220V cord caps and make a dedicated cord out of a heavy #12 construction extension cord. Most house panels are loaded up pretty good. Make sure you've got some empty spaces where a 2 pole breaker can go. In USA Romex is OK as long as it's not outside of crawl spaces and wall interiors. It can't be hangin in the breeze. "Subject to physical damage". How many watts does your device need. Should say on the builders plate.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear L Gebhardt,

Sort of an FYI in case you ever need 3-phase equipment, there are products that are called Phase Converters that use either capacitors or rotating coils to convert single phase to 3 phase. As you noted, very handy for the home-shop hobbiest.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John: please check your state regulations concerning the wire size, length of run et c. Regulations can change from state to state but all must follow Federal regs. The advice as to the type and size of breaker is correct AFAIK. The type and size of the wiring must be figured for the installation (usually). Here in Md. almost all residences are wired "split-phase" meaning that the incoming service consists of 240 volts split between the "ground". In the main distribution box, one side of the main versus "ground" is distributed on one column of breakers (120 volt each) and the other side to the opposite side. The box is designed so that a single pole breaker will give 120 volts to ground which ever side it is connected. A double pole breaker will span the two "hot" sides to produce a 240 volt connection.

There is no reason that you cannot do this yourself with the proper precautions and reliable hardware. All breakers are not equal. Don't skimp here. Get the best available and be sure it is in code.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've read up on putting in new circuits and sockets. I have bought the goods and am going to at a minimuim install and run everything to the box. At theat point I'll do a gut check and see about wiring the box.

Wish me luck and if I never post agian -- Jim gets the lenses (He doen't have enough), Bob gets the DR equipment and the rest of you can contact my widow regarding the camera's.

God am I a wimp.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You know John, as Peter says a little jolt will do you, It may put a permanent curl on that beard of yours. Good luck and tell Helen to stand way back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin