Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,798   Online: 1174

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeremy for me using more than one tube would be like trying to pat my head and rub my belly at the same time. Or is it rub my head and pat my belly? However, it may be worth trying two. After all, the tubes are certainly cheap enough.

IPod? You listen to whale music while developing?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was doing trays, either one or two sheets at a time in a divided 8x10 tray. I wasn't game enough to try stacks with gloves on. Like Johnny, standing in the dark gets rather boring so I decided to try the 'taco' method described here and other places (by JDef mostly I think). You use a normal daylight deleveloping tank that's tall enough to hold the sheets curled up (emulsion inwards) with a rubber band. I use Paterson System 4 tanks. They require 800-850ml of developer (I use 900ml) but I'll reuse it if I'm doing more sheets straight away, or you can dilute a bit more (I've been using XTOL 1:2 instead of 1:1) . Haven't done any yet but 20mins of Rodinal 1:100 is do-able where I wouldn't attempt that in a tray. I only do 2 sheets in the tank at a time as the rubber bands I've got at the moment are a bit big, but I think others do 4 sheets. I do have 2 tanks so can start the next sheets while the 1st are washing if I want, however speed is rarely an issue for me. I put the lid on the tank and invert it for agitation, just like roll film. So far, the negs have been perfect. I have found, and I haven't read this anywhere, that if the film has a colored anti-halation backing, I need to move the rubber band half way through the wash cycle to make sure it gets cleared completely. Not quite as convienient as a roller base setup, but better than trays as long as you don't need to do a heap of sheets at once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Johnny: Even when I lived in Illinois, I listened to CBC! I could get the Toronto AM (Radio 1) service in the evenings, especially. My main problem was scratches. When I resume 4x5 work, I will now use Kodak hangers and tanks.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Images
    Good Evening, Clint,

This topic has been previously addressed on APUG; a search should turn up various posts--some of which I've contributed to.

Basically, I don't know of a simpler way to do four 4 x 5 sheets at a time than to use a color processing drum. My preference is a Chromega, but others favor Unicolor; either should be dirt cheap on E-Bay, and a motorized roller won't cost much either.
    Advantages: minimal chemical amounts, almost no chance of scratching the film; extremely uniform development; daylight operation after loading the drum. Disadvantages: None of real significance, but impractical for stand development (huge chemical quantities).

Keep in mind that I'm very prejudiced on the matter; I've done sheet film in drums for over twenty-five years. That's after trying tray shuffling and the horrible old Yankee sheet film tank.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Before you switch you need to think about some of the variables in how you develop in trays:

How many sheets are you doing at once?
    How fast are you "shuffling" the sheets?
    Do you have enough developer in the trays?
    Like Jeremy I use the tray/shuffle method, 6-10 sheets at a time. It takes practice but now I rarely get a scratch. I shoot so much that I'd die of old age before I finished developing a year's worth of film if I were using tubes.

Two things I'd add to Jeremy's comments is a) use surgical gloves and b) use a 3 minute water bath before putting the film in the developer. The water bath will help with uneven development. And take a look at the article on developing by inspection on michaelandpaula.com if you're interested in in learning more about the shuffle method.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James M. Bleifus
    Two things I'd add to Jeremy's comments is a) use surgical gloves and b) use a 3 minute water bath before putting the film in the developer.
    Ditto to that, I use nitrile surgical gloves (you can wash and re-use them, too) and a water bath (probably 1.5 minutes, though).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Konical, the unicolor drums are the way to go. There is an article at largeformatphotography.info that describes in detail on how to set it up. I have used it for 4, 4x5's at a time and one 8x10 at a time with excellent results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've used the unicolor drum and reversable roller thing. Works great. mine didn't come with spacers so i can only process two at a time.

chris
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this the unicolor drum you're talking about? Would it have everything necessary except the chemicals? and the electric roller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Basically, I don't know of a simpler way to do four 4 x 5 sheets at a time than to use a color processing drum. My preference is a Chromega, but others favor Unicolor; either should be dirt cheap on E-Bay, and a motorized roller won't cost much either.
    I actually have some of those. A whole bunch, actually. I thought somehow I'd be able to jam 120 reels into them but havent made it work yet. Ive got some tubes that are pretty small and thin and some that are bigger than a linebacker's thigh.

The answer might have been under my nose (or in my closet, actually) and I never knew it. Any details on how to make this work would be very much appreciated!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin