Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,458   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tubes, Tanks & Trays - Sheet Film Developing

I need some advice about deveoping sheet film.

When I develop in trays, the development is very uneven, making me think that even my best agitation efforts come up short.

A Yankee Agitank is a little easier to use, but still gives me uneven negs.

Have any of you used the tubes that J&C sells? I also have access to a Besler Color (made for prints, but I'd try it for film if its not a horrid idea) roller tank thingy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Clint

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before you switch you need to think about some of the variables in how you develop in trays:

How many sheets are you doing at once?
    How fast are you "shuffling" the sheets?
    Do you have enough developer in the trays?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I generally do 4 sheets (2 holders) at once. I'm not sure what you mean by shuffling.

I generally put about 300ml of fluid in a 5x7 tray to deveop 4x5 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shuffling is the most common form of agitation when using trays. Think of the film stacked up like a deck of cards one on top of the next. You grab the film in one hand and use the other to slide the bottom neg out and then gently lay it on the top. I shoot until I have 6-8 negs to do at once.

How are you agitating? This may be the reason for the uneven development.

For comparison--I use 1000mL of developer in an 8x10 tray for my 5x7 negatives.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try tubes, they work very well. Don't use PMK. tim

P.S. Look in "Articles" for a how to on 4x5 film tubes.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tried them all. Finally and happily found the Jobo 3010 Expert tank. All problems solved. Expensive yes, but if it broke I'd go find another one immediately. I passed the threshold a long time ago for metol poisoning so I absolutely can't have my hands in developer to shuffle a pile. I can't believe folks have the dexterity to do that with gloves on.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Trays about 9x12inches in size 4" deep trays have small radius corners so I can keep the film coraled(sp?)

Developer min 2 qts, most times 1 gal HC 110 mixed from SS 1:31

Start with 4 sheets and work up to 8 to 10

Started doing this some 25 years ago, taught to me by Al Weber at Victor School/CO. I can't afford one of those fancy Jobos

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Clint,

If you are trying to develop 4x5 sheets, the Jobo system is affordable (I built my own roller). Lots of folks rave about the "expert" drums, but then you need to spend money on the system.

Personally, I have never been really successful with multiple sheets in trays (I'm not exceptionally coordinated), but I've never had trouble with hangers. Of course you have to stand in the dark until you're well into the fixer.<g>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I divided an 8 X 10 tray into 4 compartments using plastic chain links cut in half and epoxied to the tray. I don't have to "shuffle" that way. I tried that, and as someone said, I don't see how anyone could have the coordination to do that with rubber gloves on. I use 500 ml, diluted 1+1. I'm new at it, but haven't had uneven development (yet). My problem is I'm bored out of my gourd with nothing to do in the dark but agitate the film - so it gets more than it should. Not so bad results so far though.
    I was going to use tubes until I found out you can only do one negative at a time. So that would take 4 X longer than now, though I wouldn't have to be in the dark so long.
    I think I'll stay with the tray for now, until I can get one of the tank systems.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    I was going to use tubes until I found out you can only do one negative at a time. So that would take 4 X longer than now, though I wouldn't have to be in the dark so long.
    I think I'll stay with the tray for now, until I can get one of the tank systems.
    Johnny, just get/make more than one tube

I've never had any problem shuffling my negs with gloves on and the iPod keeps me company It's really very relaxing.

blog
    website

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin