Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 720

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Sins:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cranking the music up too loud, to the point I can't always concentrate if it's a difficult print. I'll wait for the song to finish, then turn it down. Ventilation? What ventilation. That's what the door is for (good thing I have a slot processor).

On a more serious note, I'd say my biggest sin is rushing a finished print. I hate it when I've spent a lot of time on a print, move on to the next neg., and then notice that the finished print has some neglected area. I now typically keep a neg. in the enlarger overnight, sometimes over the course of a few days while deciding how to 'finish' it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My worst darkroom sin I don't consider a "sin" at all, staying up until all hours when I have to go to work the next day. All too often, Liz gets out of bed at 3am to fetch me...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Can one die from passing too much gass in an unventilated darkroom?
    This has actually been recorded as cause of death once, that I've read about (though not in a darkroom). A (large) man was sleeping in a small, nearly airtight room, and his emissions apparently raised the methane content of the room air enough to cause pulmonary edema leading to death. This was on the "odd news" feature of Netscape.com within the past month or so, story from a wire service...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    darkroom sins?
    - Using a flashlight to "burn"/solarize small sections in the developer
    - Listening to sports-radio
    - toning in selenium by inpesction under safelight/flashlight
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Can one die from passing too much gass in an unventilated darkroom?
    It always amuses me how we are all drawn towards the fart section of such threads. I'm as guilty as the next man. Opinion is still devided as to the effects of gas on printing materials (especially the fast chloride and bromochloride papers). My suggestion would be a canary in a cage. When it falls off its perch it's time to leave. But watch out for that guano. It can play hell with your condensers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, i'm guilty.

I often turn the music loud too, that's loud enough for me not to concentrate -- in some cases i've been found dancing to 80's funk while agitating [yuck!]. I also smoke inside the darkroom, but only after the print's out of the fixer and count my film developing/fixing times with ciggarettes. I've been found peeing inside the water tank too, and my friend -- oh well, let's just say she wasn't all happy.

But the greatest sin i have to confess, father, is that i constantly get bored of very difficult prints and open up a bottle or two of beer. After that -- forget the printing...

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't dust as often as I should. Granted, my darkroom is in the basement of a friend's house, and I have enough trouble keeping my own house clean. I just imagine that a dust free environment would mean less hassle getting a clean print...
    No other real sins to report. Great thread, good reading!

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Amen, brother.
    Gasp, wheeze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once shared a duplex with guy who was really unlikeable. I pluged my hot water and electrical into his system -- he never figured it out.

I pass gas and burp in public, why should the dr be any different?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sniff the developer. It's gooooooood!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin